Problem w/ Smoke Generator

Started by Paisan1922, July 05, 2005, 09:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />My advancer is now not working properly either.  I'm trying to open the generator to clean it, and I can see what I need to do, but my question is: How in the hell did you get your hands in there Hab to disconnect the wires?

EDIT:  I was able to disconnect the power wires, although I did rip my hand up pretty good doing it.  But what about the wires on the advance button?  Do they pop right off like the power button wires?  They don't seem to, and I don't want to force them.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes, the wires to the power button comes off the same way. I was just barely able to get my fingers in there, and grasp the connectors enough to wiggle it back and forth until they disconnected. You got me thinking - the next time I'll try using needle nose pliers, being careful not to squeeze too hard (I don't want to break those plastic connectors).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

If you have removed the correct 6 screws, the 2 halves should seperate like a clam with a rotating motion. More than enough room to get your entire hand in to unplug the wires & replug them.

FWIW, it makes no difference on the red & black wires, they can be hooked back either way. (At least with the US model, I know nothing of UK electricity.)

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

psdubl07

I know I did the right screws and I tried twisting and turning it apart which somewhat worked, but without completely forcing it, couldn't get it to the point to get my hand in without ripping my hand up a bit.

Are you talking about the red and black wires that connect behind the power switch?  Because I think I mixed those two up and when I turned it on, it blew. [:(] Can I get a replacement for that piece?

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />Are you talking about the red and black wires that connect behind the power switch?  Because I think I mixed those two up and when I turned it on, it blew. [:(] Can I get a replacement for that piece?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What blew? And yes, we have whatever replacement part you may need as long as Bradley offers it to us.

It's my understanding that those two wires can be interchanged. Is it possible that a wire got damaged by re-assembly or something wasn't tight & came loose?

Not being accusatory, just questioning the possibilities as I've never heard of this problem before.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

psdubl07

Kirk, no problem, I'll try to show you with pictures.

I was overly careful with the wires, so I'm pretty sure none of them got damaged.  
I hooked the bisquette advance wires back up at the plug-in spot 1/2 way down the wire/cord...no problem.  I plugged in the unit to check the power indicator light and it was on, good.
Then I plugged in the 3 wires to the On/Off switch seen here:

As you can see there is a 1) a red wire, 2) 2 black wires running together into 1, and 3) a white and pink wire running together into 1.
When I plugged it in, the power indicator light was again on, but when I flipped the On/Off switch to On, it lit up for a millisecond, then there was a barely discernable little "pop" and both it, and the power indicator light went out.

My knowledge of electrical workings is slim, so originally I thought this is the piece that "blew":

After looking a bit more right now, I realize that the fuse is blown.  So I guess I have 2 questions.  Can I get this fuse at most hardware stores?  And why did the fuse blow?  I'm assuming I had the wires connected in the wrong order, but it sounds like you're saying the order doesn't matter.  Also, you can't tell on the last pic, but one prong is gold colored while the other two are silver.  Was this discoloration caused by the blowing fuse, or is it there to signify a certain color wire should go there?