3 butts

Started by hktkct, October 20, 2010, 07:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hktkct

I will be smoking 3 butts for a Sat. afternoon get together, butts will weigh between 8 and 10lbs,  I will be cooking at 225 deg. can anyone give me an idea how long you think they will take,,I was thinking around 24-30 hrs. does that sound close? I am still new at this..thanks

Brisket Lover

Sounds about right to me

RAF128

Every butt is a little different.   Might be right and maybe not.    Watch the IT.     Start it on Friday afternoon.    If it's done a little early FTC.

DTAggie

I would plan on 30.  Rotate them top/bottom and front/back.  You always FTC or even pull and reheat if necessary.

GusRobin

Quote from: RAF128 on October 20, 2010, 07:27:47 PM
    Start it on Friday afternoon.    

Starting at noon on Friday with a 30 hour cook  you are looking at 6:00pm Saturday plus if you FTC (recommended) you could be looking at 8:00pm with a stubborn butt. You just never know. To be safe, if it was me I would figure out the time you want to eat, subtract 2 hours for FTC, and then subtract 30 hours. So if you want to eat at 2:00 on Saturday, start around 6:00am on Friday (if my math is right). As said you can always FTC longer if it gets done early. If too early you can always pull and then put in a crock pot on low to keep warm. But a well wrapped FTC can keep it fo 4-6hrs, especially with 3 butts.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

I've done four butts in the OBS and I don't think they will take quite that long, but then there have been people here with one butt that takes that long.

When I do that many, I usually start the evening before and they are done the next afternoon.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

It'll be down into the 50s Friday night (and windy), so that 30 hour estimate might be pretty close..

FTC is your friend if they get done early.   You'll even have time to pull and dump into a crockpot to serve.   Just add a little apple juice/apple cider vinegar to keep it moist.

hktkct

Thanks to all for your help, I was thinking of an early morning start on fri.( 4 or 5 am.),,,,Squirt , yes I have been watching the weather, I did get me a shed (shelter) like you have so I figure that will help some against colder weather, when I can figure out for sure how to add pics I will post mine,,thanks to all again

classicrockgriller

I read that title and all I could think of was my wifey and two of her sisters. ;D

Sounds like a good plan and a fun time.

bundy

You crack (shows most of the time) me up CRG!!

goblism

I would plan on closer to 20 hours, I did 2 16lb butts for my grooms supper and they only took about 18-19 hours

hal4uk

You just never know with butts, so I agree you should allow plenty of time...
Something you have working in your favor is that there is a lot of thermal mass with three butts, so they will finish/hold in FTC for a long, long time.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

thirtydaZe

can someone explain why so many hours are required?  everything i've read states with cooking temps between 225 & 250 you should plan about 1.5 hours cook time per pound.

then i come in here and see 24-30 hours and it makes my head spin.

i'm not doubting that you pro smokers are not correct, just looking for a little explanation is all.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

KyNola

The reason everyone is wavering on a specific answer is a lot of it depends on the pig that butt comes off of.  The real unknown is how long the butt will remain in the "stall" period.  That is the period where the IT of the butt comes to a screeching halt, sometimes for hours while the collagen and connective tissues in the butt breakdown.  That is when the magic is happening and you don't want to do anything to rush the IT past the stall.  Eventually the IT will begin to climb again but until it does, all you can do is have another beer. 

I've had butts finish in 14-15 hours and I've had them finish in 25 hours.  There's just no pat answer or formula.

thirtydaZe

Quote from: KyNola on October 26, 2010, 11:17:06 AM
The reason everyone is wavering on a specific answer is a lot of it depends on the pig that butt comes off of.  The real unknown is how long the butt will remain in the "stall" period.  That is the period where the IT of the butt comes to a screeching halt, sometimes for hours while the collagen and connective tissues in the butt breakdown.  That is when the magic is happening and you don't want to do anything to rush the IT past the stall.  Eventually the IT will begin to climb again but until it does, all you can do is have another beer. 

I've had butts finish in 14-15 hours and I've had them finish in 25 hours.  There's just no pat answer or formula.

thanks for explaining, i wasn't aware of the stall.  is this just in pork butts, or does brisket stall as well.

if another beer is involved, i better hop on this smoke asap!

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16