Smoke Snack Mix - Yum!

Started by northernsandcarver, October 10, 2010, 10:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northernsandcarver

I have a recipe for a snack mix (a mix of Ritz crackers, Crispix, etc.) that I love but don't make it too often because it's so fattening.  It requires being cooked in the oven for 1 hour so I thought why not smoke it.  OMG, if you thought hickory sticks were good you should try these!  This was only my second attempt at smoking and I'm quite impressed.

If you're interested in the recipe let me know and I'll post it.

Kelly

pensrock

post it, we love recipies.  ;D

Slamdunk

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

I guess i can say BTDT

Pistachios

Chex mix

northernsandcarver

Great idea with the cheese cloth, never even crossed my mind.  I used 8x8 glass dishes.

1 box plain mini Ritz
1 box cheese mini Ritz
1 box Crispix
1 box pretzels
1 box Bugles
Mix together (I use a large turkey roaster)
Note:  may substitute 1 box of any of your favourite snack.

1 cup oil
1 ranch flavoured dressing mix
1 tbsp lemon pepper
1 tbsp dill weed (optional)
2 tsp garlic powder
Mix together and pour over cereal mixture.  Leave for 1 hour then bake for 2 hours at 200 degrees F (I've baked them for 1 hour and they're fine).
You can't buy Bugles in Canada anymore so I tried corn chips this last time, not as good as with the Bugles but still pretty good.
Also I smoked these for 1 hour which I think was a bit much.

pensrock

QuoteGreat idea with the cheese cloth, never even crossed my mind.
Yea he comes up with a good idea every once in a while.  ;) ;D ;D

Bavind

I did the chex mix recipe at the lake this summer. I couldnt make it fast enough it was gone before it could cool from the smoker. I had to start making in huge batches using all of racks in the Bradley. I did use the cheese cloth as suggested before the mix seemed to take on the smoke better using it than in a pan.