Started by wonko the sane, October 16, 2010, 10:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

What, no bacon ?    ;D

Seriously, it sounds like a winner!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Habanero Smoker

Roasting really brings out the flavor, but I roast longer and at a higher temperature.

I just purchased an cauliflower to day. I'm going to hit it with about 40 minutes of pecan smoke. Then roast it my usual way, with olive oil, sea salt, cherry tomatoes, garlic and parmesan cheese. I usually use a little turmeric to add some color but with the smoke I'm going to skip that ingredient.

I've also made a similar casserole, that uses a cheese sauce, and yes it does have bacon  :). It is good you should give it a try. The following link should work. I believe it is one of the recipes they display to non-members.
Creamy Cauliflower Casserole with Bacon and Cheddar

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wonko the sane

I truly appreciate your comment. Even more so, since it was coming from you.(Tenpoint5). I believe that the Bradley has infinite possibilities. If there's a food to be eaten, I will find a way to involve my OBS, and make it better. ;D
Impermanent are all things created.....Strive on in Awareness

wonko the sane

I wonder about the sequence of the preparation. Heat causes most substances to expand. By roasting my cauliflower first, I am opening it's "pores" (so to speak). By doing that, don't I make it much more receptive to the smoke? I am just a "newbie", and don't mean to question your method. I'm just trying to apply a fundamental law of physics.
Impermanent are all things created.....Strive on in Awareness

BuyLowSellHigh

You're right about heat causing things to expand.  But that is in the absence of phase changes or the moisture and fat  loss that occurs in cooking processes.  In cooking, most things (meats, fruits and veggies) get smaller because of moisture losses and other more complicated changes.  If there is a gas being given off that causes the expansion that then gets trapped with a phase change (e.g., baking leavened breads, cakes, popcorn.).  Capturing smoke flavor is initially getting smoke particles and gas phase condensation to adhere to the surface, that can over a prolonged time migrate and penetrate.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Habanero Smoker

I don't take differing opinions as questioning my methods. Most of the time there is more then one way to achieve a goal, or there could be multiple goals. It doesn't matter if you have 1 post or a 10,000 posts; this board is for sharing ideas and opinions. As long as it is not presented in a derogatory or mean spirited; differing opinions contribute to the growth of this board.

If I have read the sequence of your recipe, you didn't start applying smoke until you made it into a casserole and placed into the Bradley while still hot. Smoke application and penetration is less effective as the object increases in heat. So cold smoking should work better. By cold smoking or even hot smoking the florets first, the smoke will penetrate and deposit on all exposed surfaces, and is why I will only be using 40 minutes or so. Then as it is roasted with the other vegetables, the cauliflower will impart the smoke flavor throughout the dish. That is why I am choosing to cold smoke first. Also I don't plan to make a casserole this time, but may try your casserole in the future,  or the one printed in Cook's Country with smoked cauliflower; since it is getting to that time of year for comfort food.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)