• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rubbery Poultry Skin

Started by CoryNH, October 28, 2010, 07:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoryNH

I know this is a bi-product of cooking low and slow on poultry.  Has anyone every tried starting the bird (chicken or turkey) in a 500* oven for the first 30 mins or so then transferring it to the smoke?  The start in the oven will crisp up the skin, but will that then block the smoke from getting to the meat?

Tenpoint5

Cory that is the general consensus that by crisping the skin it forms a barrier that doesn't allow the smoke to penetrate into the meat.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

Try taking it to a hot grill after the smoke to crisp up the skin.

CoryNH

I'll try the grill next time, following the bradley with a 350* oven didn't really do anything.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

CoryNH

I finished the last 30mins or so in the oven

FLBentRider

I would think that would be good. Obviously it was not.

Try the 500F thing. Just keep an eye on it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

thirtydaZe

finishing on the grill does wonders.

did wings last weekend, and since i had spare time, i put them on a hot grill and let them go on each side, just a small amount of time, the results were spectacular.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

CoryNH

Thanks Guys... I will try the grill.

BuyLowSellHigh

If the bird is spatchcocked you can also run it under a broiler, but do keep an eye on it.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

BigJohnT

Once I tasted a chicken from the BE I don't cook them anywhere else anymore...

John

TonyL222

Just a NOOB here, but you might try putting on a light coat of canola (or EVOO) oil before applying the rub, and when the smoke is over finishing in the oven (I see you did that).  The oil helps to crisp up the skin.  See my bird in my "First Smoke" thread. 

Quarlow

I agree with BJT on the BE. But I smoked mine first then into the BE and man was it good. But I still want my stuffing done in the bird though. At our thanksgiving my brother rotiserrie BBQ'd his turkey with stuffing inside. When I got there I said to him we need some smoke on this thing. (he has a bigi 6 rack also) but we didn't use that. We just made a foil pack with some broken up bisquettes and it added a lot of smoke flavour to the bird and surprisingly to the stuffing also. But I am wondering if we lived through stuffed turkey on the Bar-b, is this different than the heat in the Big Easy? I am almost tempted to do a stuffed one in the BE, but we have had this conversation before and the consensus was that it is to risky.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.