powdered dextrose

Started by Sailor, October 30, 2010, 04:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Can you find powdered dextrose in the grocery store or do you have to order it online?

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

unclebuck

Depending on where you are, you can get it by the pound.  I usually buy 5 lbs at a time, as I make my own wine & beer. 
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

Sailor

I am in South Florida.  I hate to spend $8 in shipping to buy a $2.00 bag of dextrose.  Just wondering a person can get it locally.

Smokin Soon

Check this out for substitutes. It got me through until I stocked in in.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13380.0

BuyLowSellHigh

I get it locally from Allied Kenco, but a good home brewing supply should also have it.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Sailor

Thank you all for the replies.  I have been on the Allied Kenco site as that is where I have been getting my hog casings.  I wish they had the spices that Butcher and Packer has.  I get my spices from Butcher and Packer and looking at my supplies I need to get some more stuff as I need another 1lb of Fennel, 1lb of Paprika and ECA.  Adding the powdered dextrose to this order will justify the shipping cost. 

BuyLowSellHigh

Search the spice by name on the AK website - the store is very well stocked with spices and blends.  I just looked - fennel both whole & ground (1 lb), Paprika (1 lb), both there.  Look also under the Seasoning & Ingredients (link on the left), then click category on the next page (Spices in this case).  you'll get a good listing with pics.

Another source I like for the unusual and/or best quality spices, dried herbs, seasonings, etc. is The Spice House.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Sailor

I did look at A K again and did see the fennel but they want 8.20 for 1lb and Butcher and Packers has it for 3.88.   AK has the best price for the high heat cheese that I use and I like their prices on the casings that I use.  Placed an order with LEM to get the 3/8 stuffing tube so I can try my hand at sticks. I guess spreading my money around to different places will help a little. ;D  I will have to check out the spice house next time I need to order more spices.  Thanks for the heads up.

pikeman_95

sailor
We have a good foods store that has all sorts of bulk spices and they also sell powdered dextrose in bulk. The Greenes just roll their eyes when I tell them I am going to use is to turn Bamby into sausage.

Pike Man.

Sailor

hmmmmm ....we have a Whole Food store down here too.  Never thought that they would have the dextrose.  Will have to go check them out.  Went in to that store one time and flipped out at the prices they charge for the stuff they sell.  The place was packed with the greenie crowd.  I don't think that I would fit in to their social scene at all.  :o

pikeman_95

I know what you mean about the prices. Like apples 2.95#  The tree must only produce two apples. The crazy thing though is their spice prices were very reasonable. When we do some of our larger stuffing projects I have to warn them in advance so they can order extra. I have cleaned them out a couple of times and they don't care for that too much.
PM

Habanero Smoker

Are you making fermented sausage; if so you may not want to substitute. Some starter cultures can only break down glucose; not the more complex sugars. If you are using it in other types of sausages or a brine, then it can easily be substituted.

You can also use pure corn syrup, but don't get the type that is high fructose. Fructose is added as a sweetener. Don't rely on the front of the label to inform you, you need to read the ingredient list. Karo has a light corn syrup that will confuse you, because it is a blend of corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup. You only want to see either "corn syrup" or "glucose" or "glucose syrup" listed.

If you use a syrup, and your recipe calls for added water, you may want to reduce the liquid a little.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sailor

10.5 posted a SS recipe and it called for powdered dextrose.  Thought I would give it a go so that is why I was looking for the dextrose.  All is good as I placed an order and should have it next week.  It is good to know that you can use other things instead of the dextrose.

Habanero Smoker

Yes! There is generally always a substitute - dextrose and glucose are the same thing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)