Small problem with cold smoke adapter

Started by RAF128, November 01, 2010, 01:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

This morning I started to get things ready for tomorrows cheese smoke.    I brought out the cold smoke adapter, set it on a small table just off the ground and started stretching out the vent than connects to the tower.    RIP, the vent tears.    IMO this vent is too short to start with at only 3 feet.   A shorter one is worse.    Off I go to the Home Depot.    I had the flange from one end with me.   Well, it's 4.5 inches in diameter.   All I can find is 4 inch or 5 inch vents  ???.    I'm petty sure I can' stretch the 4 inch so I bought the 5 inch.    I managed to squeeze things down and put on the clamps and all appears well, I hope ;).
Just giving the unit a test run now.

Habanero Smoker

You are not going to find a duct that will fit. Mine tore almost immediatly also. I found that a 4" diameter will fit over the lip on the cold smoker base and can be clamped on. The other end fits perfectly into the generator hole on the side of the smoker.

You can order a hose from these people that will fit. I keep planning on order one - the one that is rated food safe.
Flex Hose Ducting

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAF128

I'll see how this one works.    There is likely something about the size which will affect the way it draws.    We'll see.   I was thinking about calling Bradley to see if they had replacement vent pipes.   
What I noticed about the original one is the clamp that holds it on the flange doesn't hold very well.   I had to be real careful each time I stretched it out.   

ADH

Quote from: RAF128 on November 01, 2010, 02:11:19 PM
What I noticed about the original one is the clamp that holds it on the flange doesn't hold very well.   I had to be real careful each time I stretched it out.   
I have the same issues with it. I screwed one end to the adaptor for the cabinet. Not done anything with the other end yet.

Wildcat

I've only used mine once and so far have no rip. Probably will next use. The cold smoke adapter is nice but the hose leaves A LOT to be desired as does the clamp. I plan to purchase a better hose myself. Thanks for the link Habs.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Time for BS

I also purchased the cold smoke adapter and when I tried to install it the flange would not mate up like it should.  I called Bradley and told them that it looked like the flange was glued and what should I do to fix it.  They told me it was not glued and I should just turn the flange in the tube.  It also riped when I tried to turn it so now I have the same problem as you looking for a new tube.
Tom

Smokin Soon

Mine was misaligned as well and Bradley told me to just turn it. No go. I figure they are being assembled and clamped before the paint is cured, cause mine sure acted glued!

moodyfisherman

I did not see one that was food safe  ???
Is it this one?

GS HIGH TEMP
Double-ply silicone coated fiberglass fabric hose with wire helix
External filament fiberglass core
High temperature air handling
Resistant to many oils, solvents, ozone, water, fungus, alkalis
Not recommended for continuous flexing
Color - Iron oxide red
Temperature Range (°F) ... -65° to 550°

Applications
Plastic molding
Foundries
Paper mills
Oven venting
Hot fumes

Is that a bear with MY brisket in his paws?

BuyLowSellHigh

Look at the R-4 Econo-Plus

Applications
Wood dust, chips
Positive air systems
Fume systems
Food materials, FDA approved

Temperature range:  Temperature Range (°F) ... 20° to 160° , which should be sufficient.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Habanero Smoker

For realigning the flange, you need to carefully twist it. The reason you have to be careful is that the tubing is glued to the flange (or it use to be), and this twists the tubing. If you twist too much it will break. Also I found that you can align the flange by reshaping the direction of the tube, such as making it longer (if not already fully extended) and adding more of a curve in some areas until it lines up.

Wild Cat;
The thanks goes to another member who provided that link. Sorry I can't recall who.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)