marathon pulled chuck

Started by kaskiles, November 06, 2010, 08:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaskiles

Went into Publix Friday afternoon, as USDA choice chuck roast were on sale.  After the 7.5 pork butt I did last week, I didn't think any of the 2 or 3 lb chuck roast on the shelf were big enough.  So I asked if they could cut me out a nice blocky 7'ish pounder, which they did.  Looks innocent enough:

I slathered on some mustard and threw together a rub (listed in smoke log), it was ready to go:

And go, and go, and go...
Some serious cross country, I wanted a 200 F end IT.  But I decided to just FTC after 26+ hours...

Although it was too late for a proper dinner, I sampled it anyway:

It tastes excellent, and the bark really turned out good.  I think this pulled beef chuck beats out the pulled pork butt.

Here is the smoke log:
http://kaskiles.org/smoke/smk006/smk006.html

Thanks!
OBS, Et-73, bubba pucks, frogmats; Merritt Island, FL

squirtthecat

Nice!   I did one like that - around 9 pounds I think.   From start to pulling was close to 30 hours (including 6 hours in the crock pot while we attended my company's Christmas party) - good stuff!

The last big chuckie I did was hit with smoke for a few hours, then into a foil pan (no cover) with a braising liquid of sorts.   That helped speed up the cook.

DTAggie

Dang 26 hours?  Looks darn good

KyNola

That is some OUTRAGEOUS bark on that chuckie.  Nice going.

SnellySmokesEm

Looks great.  I too prefer pulled beef over pulled pork.  Looks pretty moist to me.  Did it have a lot of fat in it?
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

kaskiles

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on November 07, 2010, 05:29:56 AM
Did it have a lot of fat in it?

It didn't have a fat cap on it like a brisket, although maybe trimming the roast out of the clod eliminates that?  It did seem well marbled though, with a couple thick fat lines running through.

The cook seemed to melt out most of the fat, even though I didn't quite get to my desired IT.

SnellySmokesEm

Quote from: kaskiles on November 07, 2010, 06:10:22 AM
Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on November 07, 2010, 05:29:56 AM
Did it have a lot of fat in it?

It didn't have a fat cap on it like a brisket, although maybe trimming the roast out of the clod eliminates that?  It did seem well marbled though, with a couple thick fat lines running through.

The cook seemed to melt out most of the fat, even though I didn't quite get to my desired IT.

I have had some success using the 7-bone roast for pulled beef.  It seems to have more fat in it and the bone add more flavor.  Your looks excellent.  Did it pull easily?
BBQ Evangelist

SouthernSmoked

Well it looks like the marathon paid off...

Great looking stuff!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

kaskiles

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on November 07, 2010, 06:26:27 AM
Did it pull easily?

Yes, it was easy to pull apart with the bear claw things.
It was different pulling than a pork butt, I think it was more like pulling a pork picnic shoulder.  There are definitely some stringy areas in it.

I'll have to try the 7 bone chuck, the only ones I saw all ready to go were too thin (1.5 ")...

SnellySmokesEm

QuoteI'll have to try the 7 bone chuck, the only ones I saw all ready to go were too thin (1.5 ")...

They are pretty thin, but I usually "boat" them so it works out ok.
BBQ Evangelist