Canadian bacon cure underway, but.....

Started by SoCalBuilder, November 15, 2010, 02:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBuilder

I've got 8+lbs. of pork loin, in four pieces, curing in the fridge. Saturday will be a full week of cure. Are there any signs to look for to let me know that the cure is complete. I'm using Hab's recipe, but while looking for this answer, I read Mallard Wacker's recipe for the maple canadian. Since I have four piece to play with, I'm thinking of doing the maple syrup or crystal rub on a piece. It's going to be a long week :'(

BuyLowSellHigh

Signs ?  Well, there's no definitive mark that I know of which will indicate that it's done.  Some indications that the cure has proceeded well are firmness of the meat - it will feel significantly firmer than raw meat, especially on the ends.  When I brine cured that brisket flat for corned beef, before the cure it would bend in half and stay there.  After the cure there was no way it would stay bent - it resisted the fold and if I took my hand off would snap back flat as fast as I could bend it.

The general guideline or rule for a true dry cure is 7 days per inch thickness, but that is in one direction.  With a loin you're applying from all sides equally and you have a high surface area to volume ratio, so that time is a bit more than  halved.

Basically, you're running on experience of those who went before you, i.e., the recipe.  When you cook it it should show a uniform pick color throughout, and then you know you got it all.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KyNola

SCB,
If you measured the cure mix to correspond to the correct weight of each piece of pork loin and placed the loin pieces in a zip lock bag, each one by themselves with the air burped out as best you could and turn the bag over everyday for 7 days the loin should be properly cured.  The loin should feel distinctly firmer than when you put the loin in the bag.

Relax and take a breath.  We're not doing rocket science here.  Not splitting an atom.  Just making Canadian bacon.  Pretty simple process.

Have fun making your Canadian bacon.  Let us know how it turns out.

Smokin Soon

It is really hard to mess up, only one time did I have an angry loin that did not cure on one side. It looked a little funny, but the taste was still wonderfull. Just have to find your tastes and go with it. I do 2 30 min
soaks cause I do not like it so salty. It's gonna be good no matter what you do.

Habanero Smoker

Firmness is a good sign, but not all cured meat firms up as you would expect. For pork loins, I use a general guideline of 2 day's per inch of thickness, there is no skin, and very little fat to slow the curing process. Most loins are between 2 - 3 inches so I average about 6 - 7 days (6 days more often then 7) for them to be fully cured. If you have the right curing temperature 36°F - 40°F, then you should be alright, by using time. The farther you go below 40°F, the slower the curing time. Once you go below 36°F the curing actions slow to a "crawl".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)