Smoked Tri-Tip ... IT 140º vs 150º

Started by smoker pete, November 05, 2010, 07:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

First let me say that taking a Tri-Tip to an IT of 150º followed by a 45 minute FTC might be sacrilegious to many but SWMBO had a small issue when I pulled my last Tri-Tip with an IT of 140º followed by a 45 minute FTC.  I personally thought it was just right.  See the results for yourself at http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18303.0  I know that there are many out there that pull it at 130º - Not that there's anything wrong with that  :D

Used the same procedures: Rub w/ EVOO and 50/50 Johnny's Garlic Spread / Montreal Steak Seasoning, and overnight in the fridge.  Then OBS @ 225º, vent open, 7 Jim Beam bisquettes

Here is the tip last month with an IT of 140º and 45 minute FTC

Here is the tip today with an IT of 150º and 45 minute FTC

The $$shot

Personally I like the 140º a little better than the 150º but they were both excellent.  Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to make them happy  ;D  The 150º was more to her liking ...

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Smokin Soon

I have had that war here on meat color. My wife will not eat anything that has pink in it. Due to current prices, Tri-Tip is for me and my friends only. I will cook her something else. I refuse to take a Tri-Tip until it has no pink, the flavor is gone by then. I was in a steakhouse called "clearmans" or something in La Mirada Ca doing some training and I really like there attitude of "If you do not like any pink in your beef, may we suggest one of our excellent salads".

hal4uk

Quote from: Smokin Soon on November 05, 2010, 08:18:19 PM
"If you do not like any pink in your beef, may we suggest one of our excellent salads".
Amen!
Awrighten.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

There is a member who had a similar problem. He would cook to an internal of about 135° - 140°F, then have a chaffing dish with Au Jus. If people wanted the meat cooked further, he would place the slice in the Au Jus and let it cook further.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Quote from: hal4uk on November 05, 2010, 10:00:38 PM
"If you do not like any pink in your beef, may we suggest one of our excellent salads".
Amen!
Awrighten.

Or the Steak tartare - no pink - it's all red!

LOL.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BuyLowSellHigh

I'm one of those that think that 140 is too high.  I like HabS idea for your wife.

There was a world famous restaurant in West Hollywood named Chasen's.  It's been closed for about 15 years, but until it's closing it was the "see-and-be-seen" place for Hollywood celebrities.  They did a mammoth strip steak, about a 3 lb piece, they called Hobo Steak.  It was first broiled under a salt cap, which kept it purple rare, then finished tableside in a chaffing dish in hot brown butter to your personal desire.

I was in a steakhouse called "clearmans" or something in La Mirada Ca doing some training and I really like there attitude of "If you do not like any pink in your beef, may we suggest one of our excellent salads".

My kind of steakhouse !
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

SouthernSmoked

Hey SP,

Awesome review.

I prefer the 140 over 150 but either works because now I'm hungry.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

beefmann

ive got to be different id pull my  tri tip at 143,2 ! ! ! !

Oysterhog

Another vote for 140°. They make microwaves for those that want to ruin good beef.

hal4uk

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 06, 2010, 02:12:24 AM
There is a member who had a similar problem. He would cook to an internal of about 135° - 140°F, then have a chaffing dish with Au Jus. If people wanted the meat cooked further, he would place the slice in the Au Jus and let it cook further.
That's what I do for prime rib... (and that's exactly how most restaurants do it)

When smoking at low temps, what little juice that comes out of the prime rib can evaporate, so I smoke it in a (full-size) foil pan with some (cheap) cabernet in the bottom.  When I pull it, I add some water, beef base, and Lea & Perrins to the au jus and bring it to a simmer (I don't add any salt because even the best beef bases have plenty of salt).  I just smear a little horseradish on mine and put some au jus on the side for dipping.  Everyone else can have it as done as they like with the simmering au jus.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

pensrock

I've never tried tri-tip so I cannot comment but with a good steak I like it med to med rare.
When we were kids we would NOT touch anything even with a little pink or bloody like we thought.  ???
After trying it though I quickly realized how much better it was not being over cooked.  :)