turkey smoking

Started by kevinl34, November 05, 2010, 09:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinl34

I just bought an older 4 rack none digital smoker I'm wanting to smoke a 12-14 pound bird for Thanksgiving my question is how many bisquettes would I need to order?  Also has anyone tried and good combinations on a turkey or just stick with apple and the lighter bisquettes?  looking for any suggestions on this turkey also looking forward to smoking on this smoker I've heard so many god things about bradley smokers and I'm looking forward to smoking on it....

Habanero Smoker

I usually use 2 - 3 hours of smoke (6 - 9 bisquettes) for turkey. I use to mix bisquettes, but now if I use more then two flavors I will start with the strongest flavor first then finish with a milder/sweeter flavor at the end.

If I am using only one flavor it will be either apple, maple, pecan or hickory; in that order of preference. If I am using more then one flavor, then I use a rough ratio of 2 to 1. Such as two apple or maple; for every one pecan or hickory.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kevinl34

thanks for the info I guess I will have to play around with the flavors to see which is best...