Rckcrwlr's Smokin' Cheese -- Better than Cutting it.

Started by Rckcrwlr, October 11, 2010, 05:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rckcrwlr

I picked up 5 pound pieces of Provolone and Hot Pepper Cheese the other day.

Threw in some Cherry Pucks for 1 hour.

Pulled them out, wrapped them in plastic wrap and foil and threw them in the fridge.

About 3 hours later, I opened them up and the smoke smell was intense.  Eating it was even more.

Talked to my Bro and he said that it would mellow out as it sits.

Well took it camping this weekend and...well, it's gone.

It definitely mellowed out.  May have to only do the softer cheeses (Hot Pepper) for 40 minutes.

Here are some pics.

The Victims...

Stripped of their Clothing

One Hour of Cold Smoking

At Rest in the Fridge

The Finished Product

FLBentRider

I rest mine in the fridge at least 10 days, longer is better.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 11, 2010, 05:42:00 AM
I rest mine in the fridge at least 10 days, longer is better.

I can definitely see how it mellows or absorbs into the cheese.  Couldn't wait 10 days...   ::)

GusRobin

another way to do it is to cut the big pieces of cheese into smaller pieces when you smoke them. More surface area is exposed to the smoke.
I have let the cheese age for weeks, sometimes as long as a couple of months. Others have up to a year. Since I am impatient, I have started to stagger the cheese. I will set it up for a 2 hour smoke and take some out after 45 min, an hour, etc, . That way i don't have to let it all sit a long time. The 2 hour smoked stuff will sit for weeks, but the 45 min stuff only a day or so.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Rckcrwlr

That is what my brother told me also.  He said to cut them into 2" pieces and then smoke.

I will have to do that next time.

Tenpoint5

I would suggest cutting the cheese in half then into 2 inch chunks. Then when you open them they are cracker size already.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Rckcrwlr on October 11, 2010, 08:04:16 AM
That is what my brother told me also.  He said to cut them into 2" pieces and then smoke.

I will have to do that next time.

I knew you would "Have to Cut the Cheese". ;D

NePaSmoKer

I been known to cut the cheese from time to time  :D

Vac seal and fridge it for a long period, it gets better...............Use the force

pikeman_95

You guys are getting to me. When the weather gets a little colder I am going to have to do a little cheese. It sure looks good. Does extra sharp Cheddar work out well?

Quarlow

Huh, when I cut the cheese even the cats scatter.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Northern_Smoke

I have some vac sealed in the fridge from 7 or 8 months ago and it is even better than after the 2 weeks I initially let it set. I also find that cheeses like cheddar take longer to mellow out than cheeses like mozza and provolone. Maybe its just me but the first time i had mozza after 2 weeks i loved it. The first time i had cheddar after 2 weeks i just about threw it out. Either way, like everyone has said the longer it sits the more it will mellow out and all melt together.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: pikeman_95 on October 11, 2010, 06:10:20 PM
You guys are getting to me. When the weather gets a little colder I am going to have to do a little cheese. It sure looks good. Does extra sharp Cheddar work out well?

Works real well but I would suggest vac sealing and letting it set for at least 4 weeks. The harder cheeses really like the longer time frame to absorb the smoke. Vac seal and throw it in the back of the fridge and forget about it. The longer you forget the better the cheese will be. I really like hot pepper cheese after about 3-4 months.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Rckcrwlr

it is killing me to wait longer than a couple weeks.

My cheddar has been in there for 3 weeks...

bigcatdaddy

The wait is killer, but well worth it.  As 10 point has said throw it in the back of the fridge and forget about it.  I was pleasantly surprised this July when I found a bag in the back of the fridge.  Pulled it out and it tasted better than ever!!!  Been in there bout 7 months.  I'm getting ready to do 5# of Garlic, 3# of Colby and 3# of Pepper/Jack this weekend.   Hopefully they'll be ready for Christmas!

BCD