consistent temps with smoker

Started by bkcsmoker, November 01, 2010, 03:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkcsmoker

hello everyone---first run with the smoker today.  i have a 6 rack digital.  my question---- is it standard to have to adjust the cooking temp during the process?  i put in ribs today, just two racks and had to adjust the cooking temp up and down to maintain the internal temp at  225.  i couldn't just leave the smoker and comeback to find the same internal temp.  my smoker is outside, but protected----no wind or big fluctuation in the oustide temp today.

GusRobin

Its like your oven, if you set the oven for 350 you could see temps ranging from 325-375 as it tries to maintain 350. A lot of folks buy a PID or some other controller. The auber PID can control it within a range of about +- 2 degrees. However, for butts, brisket, ribs and the like, the fluctuation won't really hurt anything. You may want better control if doing sausage and maybe fish (don't know that for sure since I have never done fish. --hmm maybe I found what I will smoke next weekend?)
Hope this helps.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

rcger

I'm sure that others with much more knowledge than me will weigh in, but the DBS is prone to the temperature swings.  I personally bought a PID to use with mine.  It know holds the temp to +/- 1 degree.
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

bkcsmoker

thanks for the replies!  i can see how this gets addicting....

squirtthecat

When the smoker is fully loaded, the swings will calm down a bit.     Put some firebricks (or any kind of brick - wrap in foil) in the bottom and that will increase the thermal mass.    I have a old cast iron pan in the bottom of mine.

It will still swing without something like a PID that 'learns' over time, and applies the power to the cabinet heater in small pulses..