Adding Cure to LEM Backwoods Brat Mix

Started by mrmallerd, November 19, 2010, 04:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrmallerd

Will adding Cure #1 to a prepackaged mix make it to salty???????

Keymaster

I think the Lem seasoning you are using already has cure included in the mix which should be sufficient if you follow the instructions on the Lem seasoning instructions. If the seasoning and cure came in two separate packs, Just follow the instructions, it wont be to salty.

Habanero Smoker

I was just on their site, and as far as I can tell it is a fresh sausage seasoning. Read the label and look for sodium nitrite. If that is listed don't add cure #1. If it is not listed see if a separate packet came with the seasoning. A lot of times it will be packaged separately, because some spices will react with sodium nitrite and break it down over time, so to prevent this you have to mix the sodium nitrite in just before using.

I have not used LEM's, but use Penzey's Brat sausage seasoning, and it is calculated to have the right amount of salt. So adding cure #1, will increase your salt amount that is equivalent to a little less then 1 teaspoon of table salt for every 5 pounds of meat. That may not be too much, but it depends on how much salt your premix contains. I have added cure #1 to my Penzey's brat seasoning, it increased the salt taste but not much. I generally don't smoke bratwurst, because the cure alters the taste too much for me. I just enjoy fresh brats.

If you add cure #1, after mixing do a taste test. If it is too salty, adding a small amount of sugar may take the edge off the salt, but you need to be careful or your sausage can come out sweeter then you like.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)