• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My First shot at Snack Stix

Started by Tenpoint5, November 13, 2010, 09:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Quarlow

:D :D :D :D Nice euphemism. And nice looking stix.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

bundy

They do look really good 10-pt!!! Mine got to hot and fatted out. Think I need to lower my cabinet probe below the meat. What size batch is that??

SL2010

Tenpoint those look very good if you don't mind me asking what kind of grinder and stuffer did you use i am still up in the air on which one to get again very nice job you should of had NEPAS do a delivery route on his way home

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

NePaSmoKer

Nice going Chris.

Do you have any left?

Here are more pics.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: bundy on November 14, 2010, 03:20:14 AM
They do look really good 10-pt!!! Mine got to hot and fatted out. Think I need to lower my cabinet probe below the meat. What size batch is that??

This was/is a 5lb batch. If you look in the picture I posted when I said this is going to be a learning experience. Look towards the bottom of the 3rd loop from the left. You will see my probe hanging there.

Quote from: SL2010 on November 14, 2010, 04:48:46 AM
Tenpoint those look very good if you don't mind me asking what kind of grinder and stuffer did you use i am still up in the air on which one to get again very nice job you should of had NEPAS do a delivery route on his way home

I have two grinders. I have a #32 hand grinder converted to run with an electric motor. (Look for a post on OLD UGLY) and I have a small Cabela's grinder. For a stuffer I have a 5lb vertical Grizzly stuffer. I cheated on this batch I just went to the grocery store and bought 5lbs of 80/20 beef at the meat counter.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

CentPaSmokin

They look great I may try some myself for Deer camp in a couple weeks.

KyNola

Chris,
I see from the pics that you stuffed in one continuous "rope" and then went back and tied them off into individual sticks.  Any problems in tying in that manner?  Can you also put the entire rope in the smoker and smoke and then cut into individual sticks?  Is there an advantage of doing one method over the other?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on November 14, 2010, 08:01:00 AM
Chris,
I see from the pics that you stuffed in one continuous "rope" and then went back and tied them off into individual sticks.  Any problems in tying in that manner?  Can you also put the entire rope in the smoker and smoke and then cut into individual sticks?  Is there an advantage of doing one method over the other?

Larry this was the first time I have tied sausages like that. It was super easy just went around and over under pulled tight. (Just like tying your shoe without the loops) I don't see why you couldn't just hang the entire rope other than some waste where it hangs over the rod. I really like the idea of tying into links when using collagen casings I don't think they twist as nice or stay as well as natural casings do. They want to unwind when hanging.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Sailor

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 14, 2010, 08:09:57 AM
Quote from: KyNola on November 14, 2010, 08:01:00 AM
Chris,

I don't see why you couldn't just hang the entire rope other than some waste where it hangs over the rod. I really like the idea of tying into links when using collagen casings I don't think they twist as nice or stay as well as natural casings do. They want to unwind when hanging.
What you talking bout "waste"  Dem hangey over thangs are snacks while you are a baggin the rest of them  ;D

You are correct about the collagen casing.  Got to tie them.  I think you would be fine to just loop the entire rope.  Next time I make them I will measure the length from the hanger to the v-tray and cut each casing to length so I can just drape over the rods.  To me it does not matter if the links are sized and tied because I cut them to the size I want when finished.

The great thing about this, is everyone has just a bit of a different way to do things and it is all good.

Chris, I don't think you cheated at all on the beef.  I think you said you are buying GB at 1.69 a pound.  In Florida at Costco It is 2.29 a pound.  Heck you can't buy chuck and grind for that price.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 13, 2010, 08:14:36 PM
.............. they will be Sh*tting like a grass feed goose..................

That is a keeper! ;D ;D

Snack Sticks look great, but you had a great Teacher.

Oakland Raiders? HUH?

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

seemore