Mies Oven Baked Pork Chops

Started by smoker pete, November 15, 2010, 08:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

The success I had with Mies Oven Baked Chicken Legs which actually tasted and looked like fried chicken gave me the confidence to give Pork Chops a try in the oven with the Mies.  Although the chops were tasty and moist they lacked any real character.  Wonder if that is because there is no real fat and/or skin for the Mies to interact with?  I will need to work on spicing things up a little!! ... Maybe a bit of Soileau's Bayou Blend Seasoning will do the trick ;D :P

Preheated the oven to 380ºF.  Rinsed pork chops in warm water and coated them with the Mies in a ZipLock bag.  Placed the chops on a cookie rack resting on a cookie sheet.

Cooked the chops for 50 minutes.  Flipping them after 25 minutes

The $$hot.  As I said, they were OK but lacked character  :-\ :-\

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Smokin Soon

What temp did have your oven set? 375 works best in the pellet pooper, but chops, I have not done yet. It looks like the batter did not kick off at all.

smoker pete

Quote from: Smokin Soon on November 15, 2010, 08:07:44 PM
What temp did have your oven set? 375 works best in the pellet pooper, but chops, I have not done yet. It looks like the batter did not kick off at all.
The oven was set at 380ºF SS.  Don't know what you mean by "... looks like the batter did not kick off at all" but it sure sounds like that might have been what happened cause when I used Mies on the chicken legs the flavor was fabulous.  Any clue or info on this "batter kick off"?!

Should I have cooked at a higher temp maybe?

Tenpoint5

I'm thinking if you spritzed with water and dusted with more breading then spritzed again you would have a thicker breading on the chops. make sure you spray your cooking rack with pam or something so it doesn't stick and pull it all off when you take it out of the oven
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokin Soon

Plan"B" could be: Overnight with Carolina Treet, if not your fav BBQ sauce and toss in the MIes breading, let it sit a bit and if you still see a lot of white use a light spray of Pam Butter Flavor. [Thanks 10.5]. A chop needs more of a batter, as I think the Mies was designed for poultry. I'm having a lot of fun with this stuff!

smoker pete

Good advise guys.  Will do next time and report back.

ArnieM

Hi Pete,

I did these chops in a pan:  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18900.msg229771#msg229771

The grill is my favorite way, the pan comes next.  I've done fish in the oven and didn't care for the result.  I think a higher temp (400) might work better.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

SnellySmokesEm

Pete -  Have had a lot of success with the mies chicken and pork.  The only time I did pork I pan fried them and they were excellent.

Pork Chops Marinated in Italian Dressing and Worchestire sauce

Pork Chops with Mies Breading pan fried in EVOO

$$$$
Chops, Green Beans with onions and bacon, Garlic Butter Rice.

Last week I tried chicken tenders on the grill and wasnt happy with the results. They seemed to be bland, but still had a nice crunchy breading.   Not sure why because I have done thighs and legs on the grill and they were great.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

smoker pete

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on November 16, 2010, 07:50:53 AM
Pete -  Have had a lot of success with the mies chicken and pork.  The only time I did pork I pan fried them and they were excellent.
$$$$
Chops, Green Beans with onions and bacon, Garlic Butter Rice.

Sounds like a good way to go Snelly.  That's a great looking chop and the Mies really stands out.  Pan frying with some EVOO appears to do the trick.  Thanks.