UPS delivered my SRG

Started by SnellySmokesEm, November 15, 2010, 11:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on November 18, 2010, 05:42:47 PM
OS and TMB -

Im looking for pointers here.  I was at the supermarket and couldnt pass up this deal, .59 per pound for a young turkey.  I bought the smallest one I could find, an 11lber.  So I am going to practice sunday.  I eventually want to end up slicing it thin for sammies....
Sounds good, now remember to let the skin dry some (water on skin bad) it will be rubbery if you leave it wet.  After washing off and seasoning pat the skin dry and sprits a little oil on the skin and whatever spices you tend to use.   Do not use a sugar base or a rub with a high sugar content it will burn!    Good luck call if you need info I'm alwas open   ;)
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

oakville smoker

Snelly

Treat it like you would a normal turkey
Brine it for a bit if you can
Inject it.  I used a creole butter for an injection, maybe some CT if you have it handy
Put a rub on the outside, give it an EVOO rub down if you are so inclined or CT the outside
Then calculate the cook time and believe it

This is a fool proof way to cook a gobbler or anything with wings
You will not be disappointed
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Tenpoint5

Snelly When I did my first Turkey in the SRG it was an 11lb bird. I used a rub that had a pretty high sugar content. Made for an ugly presentation. Black burnt looking bird. The bird was very moist and tasted great just looked ugly. Sorta like me!!! But anywho You can use your maverick to monitor the IT of the breast in the bird. I would just suggest that where the probe cable goes over the silver ring and under the hood. That you make a foil insulating wrap, as there will be a very high concentration of heat at that spot. Also I dropped in the bird and it took 1 hour and 20 minutes until time to eat.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!