Beef jerky

Started by happy49219, November 14, 2010, 10:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happy49219

Looking for a good jerky recipie and please specify what wood and what cut of meat thanks fellas.

JT-MO

I just buy the hi mountain jerky kit, and mix it up per instructions. Then when I smoke it I smoke it for about an hour and 20 minutes with hickory.
Some of the best jerky there is!

Hi Mountain Jerky Kit
Good cuts of beef with no fat on it (I do sliced jerky, not ground) I used a lot of types of cuts and meats, but for beef the round roast seem to work best for me. A lot of meat and cheaper cut. I basically look for the cut with the least amount of fat on it, especially in it.
Slice meat on my meat slicer.
Mix in spices per instructions from Hi Mountain kit.
Let it sit as long as it says it should in the fridge (about 24 hours for 1/4" slices, less time if slices are thinner).
Take out of fridge and let it sit on the counter, and during this time prep your smoker.
Get temp up to 200F, vent wide open.
Take smoker racks and start laying out jerky cuts onto it, make sure they have just a slight gap between jerkey pieces. You don't want your jerky over lapping or touching each other.
Put racks of jerky into smoker and turn on smoke for about 1 hour - 20 minutes (4 pucks plus 2 more to push OR bubba pucks), you can go longer on smoke time but I wouldn't go over 2 hours or it will be really strong, depends on how much smoke you like?
Cook until jerky is jerky!, don't over cook!
I check it about every 30 minutes to rotate racks from top to bottom, front to back & pull out any pieces that are done. Let the rest keep cooking until it is done.

I have also had decent results with just using soy sauce (la choy brand) instead of hi mountain season. Just soak jerky in soy sauce over night. You can even add in some hot spices (cayenne pepper for example) if you like them with a kick.

RAF128

I'll 2nd the Hi Mountain kit.   L.E.M. also has kits I believe.    The kits are fool proof IMO.    I've only used the Hi Mountain and the nice thing is there are lots of different flavors so you can make what you like.