Rack Questions

Started by Grillin and Chillin, July 19, 2005, 02:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grillin and Chillin

I've seen a lot of post where the racks are rotated during the course of a smoke. In my limited smoking with the Bradley, the bottom gets hotter than the top.

My first question is what is the sequence of the rotation?  Let's assume that rack #1 at the top and the bottom rack is #4

Rack position at start
of smoke

Would the rotation then become?

Question #2, if only one item is to be smoked and only one rack will be used, which is the best rack to use?

Question #3,if two items are to be smoked and one will cook quicker than the other, how should these items be placed on the rack position?   Should the quicker cooking item be placed above or below item that takes longer to cook?                              

Work is for people who don't hunt

tsquared

I just switch the bottom and top racks although I rarely have 4 racks going. If only one rack is used, I generally put it second from the top--no particular reason. I usually have a rack of something else going tho. On Sunday I had 2 chickens going on one rack and threw in 2 racks worth of sliced onions.The chicken went on the 2nd from the top and the 2 racks of onions were in the top spot.(1 inverted on the other.)It's too hot for soup these days but I'm addicted to the smoked onion bbq sauce out of Smoke and Spice.[:p] Your 3rd question is a depends question. (No, not that kind![:D]) It depends on what you're smoking--I put the onions above the chickens as I didn't want the chicken dripping on the onions. If I was doing pork and chicken, I'd probably put the pork above the chicken to baste it with the drippings. There, clear as mud![8D]
T2

tsquared

Sorry, my computer is playing silly bu##ers.
T2

tsquared

nsxbill

The first thing I consider is not using the racks at all, therefore eliminating the need to switch them.  How the heck do you do that?  Hang the large pieces of meat!  Smokehouse Rob made a rack that allows hanging meat inside.  When doing ribs, and I usually do BB ribs, I cut the sides in half and hang in the smoker from hooks.  I usually drape bacon over them, but that is the pain of hanging them.  On butts, I actually bought some ham bags for smoking.  It is a netting affair, and I am going to do the butt I am about to marinate to get ready to smoke with the meat in the nets hanging inside.  

I absolutely hate to clean the racks, non-stick or otherwise.

When I do have to rotate, usually rotate after 4 hours.  The bottom moves to the top and the top goes to the bottom.  I typically don't bother with the center shelf....That is only 3.  I usually reserve the top rack to cover with bacon, and the bacon stays at the absolute top all the time to drip down on everything.

I think the rotation is mandatory for even product.  I sure hope that the convection fan gets but into production, eliminating the need to rotate anything!   Nonetheless, the water always gets changed every 4 hours.  I do not peek, but cook to internal temp desired.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

I agree with both T2 and Bill. The only thing I can add, is when you rotate the rack vertically, also rotate them horizontally (turn front to back).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Phone Guy

I can add that I always keep my temp probe for the Smoker on the top rack and I probe the meat on the second rack.

Grillin and Chillin

Thanks guys for the tips. You have really provided some good insight.

Just one more item to store in my memory bank, or what's left of it.

Thanks again

Work is for people who don't hunt

JJC

I'm with Bill, only I try to sneak the racks into the dishwasher and hope they get done the next tme Kathy does the dishes . . . [;)]  It's not that she doesn't notice the racks--she just loves the food I make!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA