• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

eye of round

Started by chunkyluvr57, July 22, 2005, 04:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chunkyluvr57

Hello.........Im tryn an eye of round roast for the first time...any suggestions?....Im thinkn just a dry rub with some garlic cloves inserted into the meat......or should I go with a wet marinade? Everythings spinning so fast, I dont know what to do......[;)]

smokey butt

MallardWacker

Smoke Butt(Man you could get in trouble with that one)

I hope someone steps in here.  I have often thought the same question about that large of a piece of Bovine.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

Based on my experiance your dry rub of salt and pepper with garlic inserts is fine.  However, I strongly suggest limiting your smoke, this first time out, to 5 pucks total. Then finish your meat in the box with the box temp being under the boiling point of water. Take your meat to 135 F and then FTC it for a good couple of hours. May I also strongly suggest you purchase some beef fat, slice it 1/4 of an inch or so and place it on the rack above your eye of round.

Beef IMO does not do well with a lot of smoke flavor. If you insert a fair amount of garlic cloves then I also suggest smoking the meat using Pecan, if you have it, as is goes well with the sweetness of slow roasted garlic. But PLEASE no more than 5 pucks of smoke this first time out the gate. You go the normal 4 hours worth and I promise ya you either don't have the ability to taste anything or you will give the meat to the dogs. [:0]

Also if the eye is the only item in the box I suggest taking a few onions quarter and smoke them through the 5 pucks worth and then remove them. Use them in any recipe calling for cooked onions... [:D]

Good Luck!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

chunkyluvr57

Finnaly........thanks Im goin to the box right now!....but excuse my ignorance.......take my meat tp 135 then do what for a coupla hours

smokey butt

chunkyluvr57

ok....in the smoker, with a nice 1/4 inch layer of fat facing up

smokey butt

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Finnaly........thanks Im goin to the box right now!....but excuse my ignorance.......take my meat tp 135 then do what for a coupla hours
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> FTC--means "the Funky Thai Chicken" a mysterious blend of oriental spices... Naw--just kiddin' Olds means FTC- foil, towel, cooler. After they reach your desired internal temp, many cuts of meat benefit from wrapping them in foil, then a towel and then stick them in a preheated cooler for a couple of hours. It distributes the juice from the meat throughout the cut and makes everything that much more tender. Works great on lots of stuff.
T2

chunkyluvr57

well ,thank you very much........I just called it "letting it rest". thanks for the tip......just in case anyone cares, it turned out wicked good........thanks for the help

smokey butt

Oldman

Glad it worked out for you... and don't be a stranger. BTW weclome to the forums! [:D]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">FTC--means "the Funky Thai Chicken" a mysterious blend of oriental spices...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Finally!  Thanks for clearing that up...[:D]To me anything with the word "Tai" and/or "Fusion" is funk.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...