• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need to do butts for work - suggestions?

Started by GusRobin, December 04, 2010, 06:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

I am tagged to do some pulled pork for an office Christmas luncheon. The party will be on the 17th. My plan is to cook the butts starting this Friday and ending Saturday. I would then pull them and put in fridge until the luncheon the following Friday. I was going to freeze them. The plan would be to take them out of the freezer Thursday, and take them to work Friday morning and heat them up with a couple of crock pots.

Any better suggestions?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KevinG

After seeing STC's post, I think I'll yield to him  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

DTAggie

STC and CRG can help you, but I think you are on the right path.  When reheating just use some juice or broth in the crock pot.  If you are using two crock pots, I suggest serving one covered with the Vaunted Vinegar from the recipe site.  Always a hit around my neighborhood.

classicrockgriller

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

Gus, I think STC and FLBR can help you as I have never reheated Pulled pork in a crock pot.

Not saying I wouldn't, just saying I haven't.

Good luck and I know you will do great!

Smokin Soon

I do it all of the time, your plan is good. I might not even freeze for that short of a time. Some say that it's better than the day it was pulled. Choose your flavor. as it will need some added liquid in the crock pot.

TestRocket

Gus, that what I did in preparation for our daughters wedding (freeze and reheat in a crock pot). We added a little apple juice and the pork turned out very good. Good Luck!

squirtthecat

Yep, good stuff!   Sometimes I'll reheat the mostly frozen pork in the vacbag (in very hot water - but not boiling), and then cut and dump it in the crock pot right before serving.   Stir it around a bit and add some apple cider vinegar for moisture - and a nice zing.

The last bunch of pork (10 pounds) I took to an office potluck was reheated with Rice Wine Vinegar.    1/4 bottle in each 6 quart crock.  Turned out great.  By 1:30 it was gone.

watchdog56

I have frozen my pulled pork for a couple of months in vac bags. Saved some of the juice and put in crock pot months later with a little of apple juice. They came out great,everyone loved them. I have also boiled them in vac bags and that was good also but I would never be afraid to use a crock pot on low.

FLBentRider

I either bring it in still in FTC or reheat in a crock pot with a splash of vaunted vinegar sauce.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

The crock pot works well for me.  I've had it pulled, in a vac bag and frozen for a couple of months.  I like rice wine vinegar or some CT in the pot.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.