• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cleaning Temp Probes

Started by Shasta bob, December 10, 2010, 09:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasta bob

All, I'm looking for information on how you experienced guys go about cleaning the Auber temp probes or if you clean at all/ Do you completely immerse in water or what Please explain? Thanks and Merry Ho Ho Ho!!!!!!!!
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

watchdog56

I just clean the probe itself. I got the wires wet once and the next time I used it it did not work properly. Just use  a scratch pad and soapy water on the probe and keep the wires dry.

OU812

I use alcohol, not the kind you drink.  ;D

And what ever you do DONT get the wire wet, it will fry your probe, just clean the probe.

thirtydaZe

i use clorox wipes, and just buff the probes until they feel clean.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

ArnieM

I hold the probe by the wired end, maybe an inch in.  Then use a sponge to clean off the probe with a rinse.  Don't get the wired end wet.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

I cut a Scotch Brite pad into about 1 inch squares, apply some 90% isopropyl (rubbing) alchol to the pad and scrub only the probes. Then wipe the wires and probe with a clean with a small piece of paper towel that is soaked in alchol. being careful not to pull at the points where the wires are not connected..

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

I have a big pump thing of hand sanitizer in the garage...   I give the probes a squirt and rub the funk off real good with my hand, then clean/dry them again w/ a paper towel.

Shasta bob

2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Mxpunk64

Guys this is an old topic but I wanted to say thanks. I am new to the Bradley and have a few smokes on the Auber probes. Was just trying to figure out how the heck to get all the gunk off the air probe. This helped a lot.
A slice of heaven is a slice of smoked meat!

viper125

Also a good idea to keep a 50/50 bleach and water mix in a squirt bottle. I spray everything I wash that touches raw meat with it.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

hal4uk

Quote from: viper125 on November 20, 2011, 06:11:42 PM
Also a good idea to keep a 50/50 bleach and water mix in a squirt bottle. I spray everything I wash that touches raw meat with it.
That's an excellent (and cost-effective) cleaner for food stuff (especially anything that raw chicken touched)...

[not related to the question at hand, but just made me think of it...]
You know all those bottles of 409/Fantastic/whatever you clean with?  Save em...  Buy big bottles of ammonia (or lemon ammonia) at the Dollar store, and refill those old $3-4 bottles --- pour about a 1/2 inch of ammonia in those empties (about 10 cents worth), and fill the rest of the way with water.  Makes a great "all purpose" cleaner for counters, sinks, whatever.  Over the course of a year, it adds up!  That extra change might pay the tax on your next smoker!

DISCLAIMER/HEY!!!: for the 1% of you may not know...  Do NOT mix bleach with ammonia.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

You really don't need that much bleach. One tablespoon per gallon is enough to sanitize.

When cutting meats and vegetables, I not only keep a spray bottle, but also a small bucket of this mixture with a clean cloth. That way you can sanitize your area and knives at your work station.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

Dad started me doing it. He even puts it in his dish water. I also put it in when washing grinders and such.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

OU812

I use the bleach water thing when I do all my processing, go through buckets of it but dont pour it down the drain.

Every Tbl of bleach down the drain will kill lots of the good things your trying to build in your septic system.

Thomas DeWitt

I home brewed beer for many years where sanitation was even more important.  There is a food grade sanitizer that you can purchase that works great and won't leave any off flavors on your food.  You mix it according to the instructions and keep in a spray bottle.  You can spray it on anything.

Star San is an acid-based sanitizer that is quick, odorless, tasteless and safe for most materials except softer metals. Use of 1 oz per 5 gallons of water and a contact time of 1 minute makes Star San very economical and convenient.   http://morebeer.com/view_product/16022//Star_San_-_8_oz 

Also, i use a product called PBW to clean my SRG basket and other grills.  It is called PBW (powdered Brewery Wash).  It works in warm water and will clean anything.  It is also very safe to use.

PBW stands for Powder Brewery Wash, which is a non-hazardous buffered alkaline brewery cleaner. It is cleaner of choice for many breweries where it out performs more hazardous caustic chemicals without removing the flesh off your bones. It will not corrode soft metals. One packet makes 2 to 5 gallons of solution.  http://morebeer.com/view_product/16015//Cleaner_-_Five_Star_PBW_2_oz

You should try these they will make your life much easier.

Tom DeWitt
Spent many years home brewing.  Now taking my passion to Smoking and Barbequing.