FTC What does it do....

Started by Oldman, July 28, 2005, 02:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

I recieved this following E-mail from the recipe site. Instead of just me giving my thoughts I figure a collective answer would be best. If enough of us answer then we can summarize and put it on the recipe site. This is a good question. So come on everyone let's get everyone involved on this one.
Thanks!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2"><font color="blue"><b>WHY THE FTC METHOD AFTER COOKING FOR SO LONG. BEFORE BS WHEN TEMP WAS
REACHED ON OLD SMOKING METHOD I'D BRAKE OUT THE KNIVES AND FORKS. IS THIS
TEACH OLD DOGS NEW TRICKS.
ALL ANSWERS WELCOME.</b></font id="blue"></font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

I'm not for sure what it does but I tell you what; <b>it makes a good butt into a great butt</b>.  To me it gives you a little "GRACE" if not all temps were reached through the piece of meat.  A fool proof method of making sure the meat comes out great.  I know this is probably not what you are looking for but what-ta-hay...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

bsolomon

Here's a cut-and-paste from one of my previous answers:

Foil, towel, cooler. This is a technique used to allow the meat to rest after smoking/cooking so that the juices will redistribute into the meat. Remove the meat from the smoker, wrap in foil (some people wrap in saran wrap and then foil), then wrap in a towel (acts as an insulator), and place in a small cooler for at least 1 hour, but preferable 2-3 hours or more. You will be amazed that the meat is still just about as hot coming out of the cooler as it was when it went in, and in fact the internal temperature should continue to rise about another 5-7 degrees. The difference will be that the juices will mostly stay in the meat when cut, as opposed to carving immediately where most of the juices will run out of the meat, leaving it dry.

MallardWacker

It is sooo funny how this has evolved.   I'm not one to beat my own chest here.  But I think I was the one that introduced this to this forum a (long)ways back, though I can not take credit for it, I posted a post from Arizona BBQ Association (to which I belong) from one of their head guys over there named "Jiarby" (Glenn Butler)-to give proper credit, he has always preached this.  In his posts and recipes he never stated on what this acually does.  So any explanation is probably just a commentary on it.  

<b><u><font color="blue">But I would LOVE TO KNOW who was the brilliant Bradley Forum Member that gave it the FTC name.  He deserves the Kudos.</font id="blue"> </u> </b>The FTC name came from here!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

The FTC method is a resting period after a low and slow cook.  I follow this method always with a brisket and most times with Boston Butts or anything else.  The reason it is necessary with a brisket is I pull the brisket at 185°f and it needs to cook a little more and it also allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat.  I tried slicing a brisket right after it was done in the smoker and all the juice just ran out of it leaving the rest pretty dry.  Never had that happen when I have done the FTC method.  

P.S.  For the duck killer I was the one that gave the FTC name[;)].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

Jeff, I thought it was you or Bill.  Something like that I just didn't have time to look for.

I have said it in the past:  Jeff you are a great American and DANG I wish I was your next door neighbor![:p]

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>

I have said it in the past:  Jeff you are a great American and DANG I wish I was your next door neighbor![:p]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thank you for the undeserved compliment[8D].  I am here to help in any way I can to those friends and aquaintances who endeavor to perfect their smoking techniques.  I have learned so many things since I joined here.  Matter of fact I have a rub I came across from an old time smoker(who is now deceased) that used a green egg and I plan on using it on a nice bone in boston butt this weekend.  I'll post it in the new topics.  Lets continue to share our experiences and work on perfecting our recipes and procedures.  Maybe I'll change my name to DoctorSmoker as I'm in practice to perfect my smoke food LOL.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br /> <b>it makes a good butt into a great butt</b>.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<b><font size="4"><font color="red">WARNING!!!!</font id="red"></font id="size4"></b>

Do not try this method on your wife! She won't do it for just a couple hours, even if no one else is around![B)][B)]

[:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

I knew he was lirking in woods somewhere....[8D]

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Oldman

Here we go again... a good topic with answers and the the Chez Bombs the drop area... BOOM~! [|)]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

Who wants to vote that Chez is not spending enough quality time with with his wife... The Boy got's problems.... [:D][:D][:D] Oh no... [xx(] those morning's hard times! What do we see? Chez got to Pee... Nothing like softening those hard times to let down the day...

All I can say Chez is suffer baby suffer!  LOL~~! [}:)]

Olds

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">those morning's hard times!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">How do you chuckle on this screen.....[:D]

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas