• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brainstorm or Ridiculously Stupid Idea?

Started by OMC-MOOSE, December 12, 2010, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OMC-MOOSE

Guys,

I was just in my basement and happened to walk by the washer and dryer and a light bulb went off in my head.  I am preparing for making smoked jerky 6 days from now (which will be my first smoke ever) and have been reading here on smoking outside in cold temps and venting from inside a shed etc. and the idea hit me...

What if I was to set my smoker beside my dryer and put a "T" in my existing dryer vent line, extend the vent pipe to the right of my dryer and put my smoker on my laundry table so that I could use the existing dryer vent to send the smoke out through my cellar wall?  The smoker would be at one end of the line, the outside vent at the other with the dryer in between?  I could put a dampening slide shut-off between the smoker and the dryer, or disconnect the dryer altogether during smoking to keep smoke from getting to the dryer.  I thought this would solve a few problems...the smoker would be operating at inside household temps, and I would be operating at inside temps as well, and not have to be bundling up and running to the shed through the snow all the time.  I am not planning on smoking at any other time of the year as all I plan on smoking is a few deer a year that I harvest in the fall and early winter.

Does this sound like a possibility? or just a stupid/possibly dangerous idea?..anyone else try this?   
NRA Life Member

hal4uk

Yikes...  I'd vote NO on that one...
I'd be afraid that the smoke smell would wreak its way back up into the dryer/clothes when that damper was open.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

OMC-MOOSE

Forgot to add...would the racks need to be moved from top to bottom and front to back DURING the smoke process or just AFTER smoking?  This could be an issue due to opening the door and letting smoke into the house if I need to adjust racks while smoking.

Hal4uk...I could simply disconnect the drier while smoking couldn't I?
NRA Life Member

hal4uk

Quote from: OMC-MOOSE on December 12, 2010, 06:35:24 AM
Forgot to add...would the racks need to be moved from top to bottom and front to back DURING the smoke process or just AFTER smoking?  This could be an issue due to opening the door and letting smoke into the house if I need to adjust racks while smoking.

Hal4uk...I could simply disconnect the drier while smoking couldn't I?
Yeah, but since the smoke would use the same exhaust, when the dryer is hooked up, I'd BET you that smoke smell comes back into your dryer and clothes.

Really, there's just a LOT of things wrong with smoking in your basement.  I wouldn't do it.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Moose,
Can you reach the vent where it goes through the wall?  If so, you might and I emphasize the word might get away with using a totally separate hose for the smoker, disconnect the dryer hose and connect the smoker hose directly to the vent where it goes through the wall.  If it still has a long run of pipe or hose to get out of the house then I think Hal is right.

Gutsy move either way though and I wouldn't tell mama! :D

Toker

Me, i smoke inside in my kitchen using my window and using a separated hose to drive the smoke out of my apartment.

Tenpoint5

Kynola I am thinking this is Momma since she said "MY washer and Dryer" and actually mentioned using them again a little later on!! ;D

I wouldn't do it for fear that some of the lint would also bypass the damper and fall into the Bradley thus having a fire hazard. On its own separate line it might be feasible, although I would recommend it. I know there is a couple of members that have a basement setup.

OMC-Moose Once you start using your Bradley you will find that you're going to be wanting to use it all year long. Not just during the winter when your doing venison. That's what most folks get them for but we use them for so much more!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 12, 2010, 07:13:46 AM
Kynola I am thinking this is Momma since she said "MY washer and Dryer" and actually mentioned using them again a little later on!! ;D
How very chauvinistic of me.  My apologies to all the ladies out there.

However Chris, just because you don't know where your washer and dryer is doesn't mean that some of us men don't do laundry. ;) :D

KevinG

;D no wonder he's always wearing the same thong.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

pensrock

Besides the chance of smokey smell on the clothes, you will get smoke in the house every time you open the door. Mine sits on a covered deck and works great If I did not have a covered deck I would probably put a vent in the garage and use the smoker in there.

OMC-MOOSE

Ok guys...the washer and dryer are my wife's...lol ;D...although I do my own laundry as well as my sons.  The total run from where the smoker would be to the wall where the vent is is about 10 ft.  I like the idea of the separate vent line and it's seems most feasible rather than using the existing dryer line...I can disconnect the dryer from the outlet at the wall.

I do have a covered back porch; although not enclosed and the smoker would be operating in the ambient temp. but out of any rain/snow.  Perhaps I am making to much of a concern over the ambient temps?  I will be drying at between 160* and 180* so maybe it's not an issue anyway.  I could smoke for 1-1 1/2 hrs. and then move the meat to my dehydrator in the house that I already have anyway.  The expected temps for next weekend are between 20* & 25* 
NRA Life Member

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on December 12, 2010, 07:23:31 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 12, 2010, 07:13:46 AM
How very chauvinistic of me.  My apologies to all the ladies out there.

However Chris, just because you don't know where your washer and dryer is doesn't mean that some of us men don't do laundry. ;) :D

I know where it is at!! I just avoid that room. Many years ago I did the red shirt in the whites thing (on purpose) and I have never been allowed in there again. I even offer to do the laundry. Always get the same response "Aint No Way in H*ll the last time I let you do laundry you turned everything pink!!" :o ;D ;D

Well Moose sorry about the gender confusion!! I see you took it with a grain of salt. You will fit right in around here! If you have the room see if you can find an old stove vent to mount a foot or so above your Bradley and vent that out the separate line. Although I don't like the idea of using the smoker in the house. As highly unlikely it is for a fire to happen it does happen on occasion

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BuyLowSellHigh

There was a thread about putting a smoker in a basement a couple months ago.  Here's a link to that thread.  May be worth a read to see varied opinions on the idea:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18510.0
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

OMC-MOOSE

Ok...I think I'm gonna just do this outside on the porch or at the least; in my shed WELL away from the house.  I see no sense in creating a possible situation that would/could jeopardize my home.  I spend all day outside chasing deer; what's the big deal in going in and out of the house a few times to turn one into food?  Thanks for all of the input and good info guys!  T-minus 6 days and counting!
NRA Life Member

Tenpoint5

Don't be a stranger Moose come on back and post some pictures of your cooks. Don't worry we may be a dysfunctional sort of family but we are all kind of family here. Yes we will corrupt you and you will spend lots of money that you won't tell your wife about on new toyools that you JUST HAVE to have!! Trust me we have all done it.