Quick Rib question

Started by bob_loblaw, December 27, 2010, 04:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob_loblaw

Having a small new years gathering and was going to make my first Briskey in the Bradley.  Went to Costco to find they only have trimmed flat briskets and no full untrimmed ones.   ::)  Next thought was a pulled pork taco bar, modify a rub slightly and have all sorts of fixings for tacos.  Well around here Costco only has boneless pork shoulders and not bone in.  Strike two.  I know you can do boneless, but I really prefer the bone in.  Finally settled on baby back pork ribs. 

I use the 10.5 method with 3 hours smoke, 2 hours boated with spash of juice and 1 hour to firm up.  Even with the extra hour in the boat the ribs have always come out perfect for me and my fiance.  Meat comes off bone cleanly when pulled, and does not just slide off.  This is how we like our ribs, with a bit of a pull to em.  One of my guests prefers ribs that are closer to fall off the bone so I wanted to see what I could do with the same time constraints so everything still comes out at the same time.  I was thinking of leaving her ribs boated for 2:30 or 2:45 and then only 30-15 min of firm up time.  I serve all sauce on the side so it won't affect that.  Anyone ever mess with that to make more tender (ie mushy ;D) ribs?  What do you guys think?

On a side note, I did a couple of racks of ribs a few weeks ago for some football and only decided the night before so I ended up with some "meh" looking ribs from the market.  I cut em into half racks and seasoned one with just salt, cracked pepper, and cayenne, one with only Carolina Treet, one with only rub (Mr. Brown) and one with rub and Treet.  They got polished off really quickly, but I am 99% sure the CT only ones were the consensus favorite.  Gonna try it again this time to confirm. 

GusRobin

you can always FTC the ones you pull off early while you are trying to make the others fall off the bone.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

bob_loblaw

Good idea.  As it turns out they are all gonna be boated for 2 hours as the 3 hour smoke only had a temp of 175.  :-\