• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

rib question

Started by micman, December 13, 2010, 10:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micman

I wanted to do more ribs, but I would like to know if there is a different way to start them then the Bradley recipe. The Bradley recipe starts them at 350 in the oven for one hour. I really like the recipe BUT it made a mess of the oven and smoked the  house out. Needless to say the wife wasn't happy. :( I have a crew party on Tuesday and was hoping to do some pork ribs with buffalo spaghetti. Any help will be truly appreciated. ;D ;D

Mickey

SoCalBuilder

I've never read the Bradley recipe you are referring to, but it sounds like they are having you pre-cook them a bit before you smoke? Sounds a little backwards to me. I know that some people would par-boil ribs before putting them on the grill. I guess it's all a matter of time. I've done 10.5's method using the 3-2-1 method which adds up to about 6 hours, or I've done them dry, and the timing was comparable. It obviously depends too on the type of ribs and the quantity. Cooking ahead of time and re-heating is also an option.

Jim O

Like SCB said, I just put use the 3-2-1 method,after removing the membrane,and have had great succes.

No pre-cooking or par-boiling needed IMHO.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

KyNola

Mickey,
Try this method.  This is the 3-2-1 method the others were referencing.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0

Caneyscud

No need to precook ribs.  Of course some were raised on pre-boiled ribs, and might prefer them, but wholeheartedly on this site, you will not have anyone espouse that - for a plethora of reasons.  The two main ways are "foiled" sometimes called "the Texas Crutch" or what we call nekkid - meaning without foil.  What type of ribs will you be doing.

3-2-1, 3-3-2, 2-1-1 are various means of saying - for instance 3-2-1 means the following:
                                                                    3 - smoke for three hours
                                                                   2 - wrap in foil and put back in Bradley for 2 hours - no smoke
                                                                   1 - unwrap and put back in Bradley for another hour of cooking sans foil - no smoke.  
                                                                            Quite often sauce is applied during this hour.

Nekkid  - means that no foil is harmed in the making of these ribs.

Baby Back ribs are smaller and don't need quite as long - anywhere from 3 to 5 hours - usually 4-5 hours.  So if foiling - a 3-1-1 or 2-2-1 or something like that would suffice.  Nekkid about the same time - probably a little less since you don't have to open the Bradley, take the ribs in an out and wrap and unwrap them and put the ribs back in.  Some great ribs are done both ways - some prefer foiled some are staunch supporters of nekkid.  There are differences, try both ways to see which way you like better.  I like the nekkid - much simpler and how ribs have been cooked in my family for decades.

Spareribs are a slightly different animal.  Either way works, but the time will be longer - say in the 6 hour range.  

Beef ribs are of course different - and may take even longer, depending.

Notice I always gave you a range of time.  The meat is done when the meat is done.  Not before and not later.  And not all racks or ribs are made the same.  Some take longer than others.  So learn the doneness tests.  Quite often the meat will have pulled away from the ends of the bones a ways 1/2 inch or so - sometimes more sometimes less.  Stick meat with a fork and twist - easy = done.  Pick the rack up in the middle with a pair of tongs - if it droops a lot more than when you put it in - a good indication of being done.  See if you can pull the bone out or twist it - works better on the rounder bones rather than flatter bones.  Try to pull the ribs apart.  If they separate fairly easy, then done.  Suggest going to a rib joint you like and order a rack and see how they feel.  You can get a good idea.  Lots of people want fall off the bone tender - the concensus around here is that fall off the bone is over done.  A mark of a good ribs is that the meat pull off the bone with a gentle pull from the teeth.  

Here's to good ribs in your future.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

micman

This is why I love this site, ask a question and great information is given thanks for the advise. Going to start i the morning.

Mickey

Jim O

Please let us know what you did,and the results,(with pix if possible)

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

TestRocket

Good luck on those ribs!   ;D

micman

Well the ribs are in and here is a pic before they go in. The sauce consists of minced garlic, and onion, ketchup, chili sauce, son Worcestershire, some chili powder,cayenne and of course some dark rum for that extra little flavor.

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

TestRocket

Looks like my kind of plan! Five slabs of ribs and a homemade sauce! Good luck there micman and keep us posted on your progress.  ;D

micman

Well ribs are done and eaten, wife like them, I was hoping for a little more moister. Used the 3-2-1 method. Just think I need to tweak the cooking thing a little to be happy. Wife says its just an excuse to do more ribs tonight ::). Friends that were over said the were good, didn't poison anyone except for the Alcohol  ;D. Has anyone ever tried meatballs, was gonna do it and put them in the sgetti but didn't  :'(.

Thanks for the advise and support
Mickey

SoCalBuilder

Well they sure look nice. I don't think I would shy away from them. Like Caney said, all ribs are not created equal, so as you do more and get to know your smoker, they'll only get better. Experimentation is one of the things I like most about using my OBS, but you learn early on to take notes as you go, because sure as shootin', you'll get just what you want, and not remember how you got there>:(

Caneyscud

Mickey,
They sure look good!  Sorry about the moistness - but I bet they still ate good.  One of the "problems" or rather "one of those things to look out for" in using a 3-2-1 method is that sometimes the ribs get done before the "2" or the "1" is over.  If you seal the ribs in foil, you are essentially cooking them  in steam.  Steam cooks faster than dry air.  On one of my big rigs, I usually get BBRibs done in 4 hours +/-.  The 3 hours smoking probably rendered them almost done, and the 2 hours in foil got them done and the 1 hour probably over cooked them slightly.  Next time if you smoke for 3 hours, probably cut the other times down some.  Or check by opening the foil a time or two during the foil time. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

TestRocket

Hey micman,

I'd eat um with you and I think Caney has made the main point but I would like to add a little something on the other variable besides time and that is cooking temperature. Most of us put more faith in measuring the cabinet temperature by using a digital probe and we place it just below the lowest rack of meat. That way if I want to cook my ribs at say 220 degs I have a better idea of the true heat they are cooking at! And you can always check a digital probe in boiling water (make sure not to let water get into the junction where the wire meets the probe) to see how accurate it is!  ;D