• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My 1st attempt at Jerky....

Started by SouthernSmoked, December 14, 2010, 04:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keymaster

JF7FSU , the Hi-mountain jerky and cure mix that SouthernSmoked used did have a cure in it. I think it may have been a type of maple cure. I made the same jerky but I did not follow the directions on the package and went for the slow smoke method which took abot 7.5 hours instead of two hours. I can tell you one thing, the Original Hi-Mountain Jerky seasoning and cure is one of the easiest processes and best tasting jerky I have ever made. Try it and I am sure youwill agree  ;D

pikeman_95

I am along with your time in the smoker. I do 25 to 50 pounds at a time so I can not spend so much time in the smoker. Once I have reached cure temp and have adequate smoke [about 2 hrs.]I have found that I get my best results by putting it in a dehydrator to finish it. If you finish it in your smoker you might tend to get hard edges and soft centers. You can control the rate of drying much better in a dehydrator. I dry mine until it is like shoe leather but will not snap. If you cut through a piece it is black all the way through and no pink showing. I then cut it into manageable sizes and wrap and freeze for longer storage. If you leave too much moisture in the jerky the water will expand when it freezes and crumble the jerky when it thaws.

Kirby

Scottie's Gourmet Meats

I am more along the lines of the slower smoking myself. I start out at about 90F and allow the temp to come up to about 120F over the course of the first two hours, then after that less smoke and higher temps, closer to 140F and the bottom tray is usually ready to come out in 3.5-4 hours and if I have all six of my racks full the last one usually will come out about 7-8 hours after I start the entire process. Of course I do not have a Bradley smoker, I have a home built that is 2'X2'X9' and my bottom rack is almost 3' from the top of my smoke pan. Mine comes out nice and moist every time (that is as long as I don't let time get away from me!!! ;D)

Good luck and Keep On Smokin!!!
Scottie
Scottie Gourmet Meats!

Indy Smoker