Got Bellies on the way

Started by smokeitall, January 20, 2011, 01:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

Ordered up 4 fresh pork bellies yesterday, splitting them with BigJohnT, can't wait for them to come in.  The butcher said they would weigh about 10lbs each.  I forgot to ask if the skin will be trimmed off or not.  The last bacon I did was trimmed up and in about 2-3 lb slabs.  Anyone have any tips if we have to trim these ourselves?
Thanks,
SIA

mjdeez

I use a large non serrated VERY sharp knife, and avoid using the pointy part of it. I cut into the strip of belly (skin side up) and cut in about 1/4 or 1/2 inch. Then I start pulling up on the skin and pull the knife edge against the cut, one pass at a time. As the skin peels up more and more with each pass of the knife it is about a 45* angle w/ the meat. You want to angle the edge of the knife up a bit so its towards the skin and not towards the meat. It is better to cut through skin as opposed to the meat.

Go easy on the pressure with the knife. If the knife is as sharp as it should be, you shouldn't need much or any pressure. Just pull the edge along the cut, pass by pass, until you've got the skin peeled all the way back. Once you've got about an inch or two peeled back, get someone brave to help you hold the slab down.

I usually have to sharpen my knife about halfway through each slab. I say usually but I've only done it twice. Once on my 13 lb slab, once on my friend's bacon.  Similar to skinning a deer if you're using a knife. There maybe a better way but this is what i do.

smokeitall

Thanks for the advice, I will use it.  I have skinned a lot of deer so I should be able to tackle this job.  I haven't made bacon in a year or so, I can't wait.
SIA

classicrockgriller

A adjustable box knife will let you set the depth thickness and makes it easier

to slice your strips.

BigJohnT

Scott,

We could just hang them in a tree over at John's house and tell him to please skin the deer pieces for us... get a cup of coffee and come back and he would be done.

John

Smokin Soon

The bellies I get are only 4-5 lbs ea. Due to my not so good carving skills and fear of blood, I leave the skin on and just pop it off after the cook. My bacon gets fully cured and tastes great.

KyNola

SS beat me to the punch.  I have read where many leave the skin on until after they are finished with the smoke/cook session and upon removing the belly from the smoker immediately peel the skin off.  Apparently it comes off easier like that.

mjdeez

i left mine on for the cure and took it off for the smoke. But the triple smoke recipe actually called for removing the skin prior to cure (if i remember right), i just kind of forgot to do that. But yeah i can imagine it would be easier once it is cooked.

smokeitall

Quote from: BigJohnT on January 20, 2011, 03:42:25 PM
Scott,

We could just hang them in a tree over at John's house and tell him to please skin the deer pieces for us... get a cup of coffee and come back and he would be done.

John

Sounds good to me.

Habanero Smoker

Skinning bellies is difficult. It is best to semi freeze them first prior to skinning. I use a knife similar to the one in the link, but with a 6 inch blade. A 10 inch blade may be too difficult to handle. They are commonly classified as skinning knives.

Skinning Knife

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wkahler

The butcher i get mine from takes the skin of for a extra .10 per pound so went the route since it was not looking fun to me!!!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

SoCalBuilder

When I was a kid, my mom used to buy slab bacon and it had the skin on. I think she sliced it with a knife and fried it up with the skin on. I thought that was the best part, because you could chew on it for hours :) I assume the reason most people take the skin off is because it's a bear to get through the slicer?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on January 21, 2011, 01:07:17 PM
When I was a kid, my mom used to buy slab bacon and it had the skin on. I think she sliced it with a knife and fried it up with the skin on. I thought that was the best part, because you could chew on it for hours :) I assume the reason most people take the skin off is because it's a bear to get through the slicer?

I remove it prior to curing and smoking, mainly to make sure I get good smoke flavor on all surfaces. The person I get my slabs from, just shakes his head when I tell him I remove the skin prior to smoking. Many remove the skin after it has been hot smoked. You can easily peel it off while the bacon is still warm.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

I cure and smoke with the skin on because that is how the bacon I grew up with was done.  I remove the skin after the smoke while the bacon is warm for ease - it comes off very easy that way.

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

BigJohnT

Sounds like smoke and strip is the easiest way to do pork bellies to me...

John