salmon and almonds

Started by micman, December 16, 2010, 12:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micman

Well today the father in-law  stopped by with four fish that he had dragged out of the ocean this summer so they are in the smoker right now. I have just put a couple pounds of almonds in a salt brine and added some wasabi sauce to give them a bit of a kick. Has anyone ever smoked almonds, and how did they turn out.

Mickey

SoCalBuilder

Mickey - I did a kind of seat-of-your-pants interpretation of a recipe from the recipe site. It called for cold smoking the almonds for a couple hours and then coating them with an oil,spice mix and then putting in the oven to finish. I started with raw almonds, coated with the mixture and then hot smoked them for a couple hours while I did a brisket. The nuts had a nice crunch to them and the spice mix was pretty good, but too hot for the bride. As an experiment, I rinsed a handful of them to see if any of the spices were absorbed into the nuts while smoking. No such luck...all I had was a smoked almond with no salt, spice, nada! Still had a good taste, but it had no zip; probably better for ya anyway :) Good luck with yours and I'll be interested to know how much the brining helped.

KyNola

BuyLowSellHigh

The recipe site link KyNola put up is excellent.  I did 2 lbs a couple of weeks ago, adjusting the spices to my own taste.  The process is perfect.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

SamuelG

I did some myself this week and they are gone!

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG