Sourdough

Started by OU812, December 20, 2010, 09:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

I've been building a sourdough starter for a couple weeks now and think its strong enough to make some bread now.

This was my first attempt with this new starter so I kinda winged it.  ::)

After the second rise and ready for the oven.

Cooked at 375 for 40 min.

Looked like it could have cooked longer but the IT was 200 F so I pulled it.

Gonna cut it tonight, was gettin late when I pulled outta the oven.

SoCalBuilder

I've never done sourdough. Did you post anything about getting the starter started?

I looks like it could be browner, but I have noticed that there is something about sourdough that makes it harder to brown. When I do toast, I have to crank that thing up to get any color.

OU812

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on December 20, 2010, 09:35:26 AM
I've never done sourdough. Did you post anything about getting the starter started?

I looks like it could be browner, but I have noticed that there is something about sourdough that makes it harder to brown. When I do toast, I have to crank that thing up to get any color.

Nope, no post about getting the starter started.

I started feeding it late last month and its up to 2 cups of some pretty strong starter now.

Might bump the temp of the oven up to 400 F next time.

Tenpoint5

Grandma used to rub the top of the bread with a stick of butter to get it to brown. Then she did it again when it came out of the oven.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 20, 2010, 09:50:12 AM
Grandma used to rub the top of the bread with a stick of butter to get it to brown. Then she did it again when it came out of the oven.

Was thinkin about doin that same thing next time.

beefmann

looks great, any thoughts about rubbing the top with garlic butter????

OU812

Quote from: beefmann on December 20, 2010, 10:29:27 AM
looks great, any thoughts about rubbing the top with garlic butter????

That'll work too.