Makeing Your own pucks

Started by broken, November 19, 2010, 02:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broken

Has any one figured out away to to grind the wood to proper chips to be able to press them?Pressing the chips is not a issue with a 20 ton hydraulic 2" diameter press,but getting that proper size of chips seems critical,have tried wood from a power planer,offsetting teeth on saw blades,trying dayto blades all seems not the correct size of chips.
I'm not looking at trying to replace the Bradley pucks that they sell(more than happy with them) just want to try other woods that are local,one of them being diamond willow that is really a sweet smoke and natives in northern Canada(Prairies) use it exclusively for smoking all there meats,birch is another one I'd like to try in the Bradley...............aka Thunder Fish.............just working on the putor in my garage ???.............

TestRocket

Thinking outside to box:

I wonder if a cross cut paper shredder could stand up against the shavings from a hand planer.

mow_delon

what I do is keep the shavings from my router.  Even bought a bit that is specifically for routing the mulberry or ash that I use.  I made cups out of exhaust pipe the same diameter as the pucks and cut to the same thickness as a puck and bronzed a thin tin bottom to the ring.  Works well as long as the ring isn't too thin (pucks jam up if too thin, seem to work well if a little thicker).  Wood shavings burn very well with the ash, not quite so well with the mulberry.  I usually go 2 homemade pucks and 1 real puck for every hour I want to smoke.

TMB

I am working on a dye (DIE) that I'll use with a press, but I doubt they will replace the factory pucks.

Got cuaght again (hey I was busy at work)  ;D
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

Ka Honu