What do you do when you have 4 breasts in front of you???

Started by Rckcrwlr, December 10, 2010, 04:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TestRocket

KyNola

Those look great but something is definitely wrong.  I probably missed it but what were you using to measure the temp in the tower?  I'm wondering if the tower temp readings were inaccurate.

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: KyNola on December 11, 2010, 08:24:03 AM
Those look great but something is definitely wrong.  I probably missed it but what were you using to measure the temp in the tower?  I'm wondering if the tower temp readings were inaccurate.

I was using a Maverick ET-73...

It was placed on the rack that the boulders were hanging from.

The Onboard showed about 6 more than the Mav.

I did a test burn...

Ambient temp in shop is a controlled 60 degrees
1 hour (damper closed, exhaust fan off) - Cabinet temp 250
20 mins (Open damper) - Dropped 8 degrees
1 hour (Damper Open, Exhaust fan on) - Cabinet Temp 250

I picked up a couple bricks that I am going to scrub and then use.  Maybe it will help hold the heat versus the element trying to keep it hot.

Any thoughts?

BuyLowSellHigh

If the probe was above the turkey boulders, then I suspect that's the issue.  Those chunks will soak up a lot of heat.  Think of them as a heat sink.

Try placing place the probe just below the meat/poultry -- it's hotter down there.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Rckcrwlr

What about the 15 hours.  Am I expecting too much?  that would be about 12 lbs of turkey?

Would a PID be more efficient?

I am going to have bricks in there for the next go around.  Where is the best place to put them or doesn't it matter?

BuyLowSellHigh

I don't know anything about cooking time for those boulders, STC is the expert in that department.

I went back and looked at the earlier pics and saw that you used an Aluminum pan on a rack under the breasts.  It looks like that pan about filled the rack it was on, leaving a small gap around the edges as the only route for heat flow.  If that was the case you probably created a good heat block, forcing the heat flow to the outside and around the birds.  I made that mistake once with a pork butt very early in my Bradley experience.  When I realized what was going on I pulled the pan and then things came back to normal.

Bricks will help with temp stability and recovery.  They act like a heat bank.  They won't speed cooking, but will help with recovery after opening the door, and can be used to even out temps in the cabinet vertically.  But, until they come up to temp they add to heat up time -- you have to make that deposit in the bank.

After removing the pan, if you're still having problems with heat flow a few things that might help are add a fan kit, or you might try a heat deflector or director like the one Southern Smoked made, shown here.  Then there is the second element mod.

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on December 12, 2010, 03:32:21 AM
I went back and looked at the earlier pics and saw that you used an Aluminum pan on a rack under the breasts.  It looks like that pan about filled the rack it was on, leaving a small gap around the edges as the only route for heat flow.  If that was the case you probably created a good heat block, forcing the heat flow to the outside and around the birds.  I made that mistake once with a pork butt very early in my Bradley experience.  When I realized what was going on I pulled the pan and then things came back to normal.

Funny you say this. I thought the same thing as I was cleaning the racks...  I am guessing that was the problem. 

I'm going to do a test today to see how long it takes to heat the bricks.  I will then have a good preheat time.

Where should these be?  first shelf on the bottom, down where the water is???

BuyLowSellHigh

Opinions vary on brick placement.  I think most put them down by the water bowl.  In my six rack when I have the room I like to put two (foil wrapped) in a rack at the lowest position -- one is leaned against the back edge at a 45° angle, the other leaned against the front edge.  That creates a bit of a heat deflector as well.  When room permits I also run with a patio paver, about 4" x 8" x 1.5", on the top shelf (also foil wrapped).  Together that setup creates a natural convection zone in between the upper and lower racks.  The top paver also acts as a rain guard, although I've never seen any signs of rain.

All together it takes about an hour to get my six rack up to 230-240 with the SG on, on a warm day.  I've never done it but others have preheated their bricks in an oven then transfered them to their smoker.

Next run of a brisket or a butt I'm going to add a strip of foil under the rear brick on the lower rack, from back edge of the rack out about a third of the distance, tin an attempt to emulate SS's deflector.

KyNola

Great catch on the pan BLSH.  I totally missed it.  I'm betting that is the culprit.

Rckcrwlr

So I just ordered 12 more breasts. I have two bricks situated front and back of the bottom rack on an angle.

I will keep you update.

Posted using TapaTalk Pro