Hi-Country; is it necessary to create steam to kill pathogens prior to smoking?

Started by Arrow'em and Smoke'em, December 25, 2010, 10:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

I mixed up 5 lbs of 1/4" sliced whole muscle deer meat in High Country 3-pepper cure and seasoning.

When using a smoker, the directions say to place a water tray above the heating element and set the smoker to high to create steam to kill pathogens and cook to an internal temperature of 160-degrees before smoking and drying.

I was planning to smoke at 150-degrees for 1 1/2 hours then increase the temperature to around 200-degrees until the internal temperature is 165-degrees. Shouldn't this, by itself, kill the pathogens also??? Can't I skip the steam step as I really don't see the purpose if we are going to get the temperature high enough to kill the pathogens anyway??? ???

pikeman_95

tfloen

I am not sure of the steam thing with your smoker but weather you reach the temp with seam or just heat the same job will be accomplished. I would not run my smoker at 200 degrees while smoking any sausage as I think it will give some fat out issues. What you will find it the outer edges of your sausage will have the fat melted out and the interior will not have the same problem. It takes more time to run the smoker at a lower temperature but you will be happier with your results. You might consider the water bath system when you get the smoke you want. When you have the water temperature at 160 and no hotter you can't get into trouble. When I smoke something like a turkey where I want to do a smoke/cook process then I will run my smoker in the 200 degree range. Good luck with your process.

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

Thanks for the insite on the pathogens and the sausage. Also, 200-degrees would probably dry it out pretty bad. I will drop it down to 160-165 based on what I am reading from other posts.

Keymaster

I just mixed up 4 pounds of 1/4"sliced round and I use Hi-Mountains original jerky mix & cure and I've read the instructions about 5 times in the last couple months and again today and the Original does not call for the "Steam Bath" as your instructions do. Maybe it has something to do with the amount of salt in the spice kit, Not sure  :-\ I hope to see some pics of your Jerky  ;D I do mine at lower temps also, not the 200 deg they call for.

Just reread your post and noticed yor using Hi-country not Hi mountain

love the smoke

Pictures man where are the pictures I know your wife knows how to run a camera ?

LTS
LTS

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

It is dark out on the patio and the jerky has another hour to go but here is a picture off my cell phone while holding a flashlight.

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

Decided to shut her down. The jerky is done and I don't want to dry it out. There were a couple thinner pieces that were getting a bit hard so I am calling it done.
There was 5-lbs to start with and for the last hour everyone has been picking at the thin pieces so probably 4-lbs left. Pictures below.

pikeman_95

Looks great!!!!

Did you use High Country or High Mountain spice? You can just leave them on a counter under some paper towels if you want them to dry out some more. I would guess they just won't last that long. How sis they taste?? I always like to hear what the maker thought of their work.

Tenpoint5

Looks great. I believe Nepas suggests leaving it in a paper bag over night to cool and absorb some of the oils. If it lasts that long.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

It is (Hi-Country Wild Game Jerky Seasoning and Cure "3-pepper blend") purchased at "Scheel's" I smoked it at 150-degrees for 2-hours with Hickory then kept rotating the racks every hour with a temperature of around 170 degrees. I checked the internal temperature and it was at 165 an hour or so before I shut it down. Hands-Down, the best jerky I have ever made. I have always used a dehydrator until I got my Bradley Smoker and now I will never go back. Awesome!

love the smoke

Now you know what to do with ALL that deer meat, better get some more biscuits ordered you are hooked now

LTS
LTS

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

I'm in good shape for deer meat. I have all four quarters of the doe I arrowed in South Dakota and I have all the meat from an 8-pointer I arrowed in Iowa. Lots of experimenting to do. I'll be bugging you a lot since mama wants to do up some dried deer. ;D

pikeman_95

I would suggest that you use both the smoker and the dehydrator. Get the temp and smoke you need to get the flavor you want then finish it in the dehydrator at a low setting. What you will find is the moisture will average out through the slabs of jerky and you will get a more consistant texture. If dried slowly after smoking I find I can get a very leathery jerky that isn't crumbly and nice and chewy. If you cut a chunk in half against the grain it should be all black all the way through.
Kirby

Keymaster

Thats some good looking Jerky, It is always a plus when you can say you actually like what you made  ;D

Arrow'em and Smoke'em

Kids and their wives are here for the weekend. Looks like the 5-lbs of jerky was a hit.....it will all be gone within 24-hours at the rate they are eating it, maybe a pound left. :P