Christmas smoke almost gone bad but saved

Started by jimmyb, December 25, 2010, 02:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyb

I was planning a smoked turkey for Christmas dinner and had just enough bisquettes for the four hours required. I only had cherry and was hoping for more from Santa. Turkey brined using the apple brine recipe and all seasoned up. Finished wrapping and assembling gifts at about 2:00 am Christmas day. Had to get up at 5:00 to preheat the smoker to get the bird in at 6:00.

5:00 AM - A little tired but fired up the smoker with four hours of cherry locked and loaded. Went back to bed for another hour
6:00 AM - Applied a little olive oil to the bird, and inserted meat probes.
6:10 - Went to load the bird in the smoker and...

Where are all of my bisquettes I loaded?! The entire tube is empty and I heard the SG trying to advance. Upon closer look I realized that the advance button was stuck. I take out the water pan to see some cherry wood soup. It took a while of banging on the SG to get the button to pop out. In the end I found a few extra alder bisquettes to give me about two hours of smoke and it came out great.

So, all's well that ends well I guess but I think I have to clean out the SG and free that thing up. Oh, and I got a bunch of bisquettes for Christmas and a new Auber PID!

DTAggie

Habanero Smoker

Glad you were able to save Christmas dinner.

Here are other ways to get the button unstuck.
OBS Stuck Advance Button

One tip is not mentioned, which is you can purchase a new advance button to replace the old one.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jimmyb

Thanks for the advice! I will do this in the future to avoid this again