Snack stick do's and don'ts

Started by Drac, December 27, 2010, 10:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SL2010

It dont change the taste i dont like buttermilk except in pancakes

Sailor

AH HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Master knew exactly what I did wrong without even asking.  I had been mixing my cure in the buttermilk.  DO'H  

I have 5 lbs to mix up and I will do the cure in a little water then do what you just said.  Snaps to and renders a stiff salute ;D  or drinks a stiff one........ ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Sailor

Quote from: SL2010 on December 27, 2010, 04:51:53 PM
I don't taste the buttermilk at all. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

SL2010

looks like i gotta get some buttermilk gonna do 10 pounds of stix  this weekend

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: SL2010 on December 27, 2010, 04:51:53 PM

The BMilk gives a tang much like ECA, Fermento, Bactofirm, buttermilk powder. Use 1 to 1.5 cups per every 5 lbs of meat.

Liquid culture in a bottle

Drac

Doing some more sticks right now.  These are pepperoni but these will be going into the dehydrator tomorrow.

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

SL2010

will it be ok  to use the buttermilk with the LEM hot stick pack i will be adding .5 of a cup crushed red pepper and 2 tbs of cayenne powder to the mix
also

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: SL2010 on December 27, 2010, 05:27:34 PM
will it be ok  to use the buttermilk with the LEM hot stick pack i will be adding .5 of a cup crushed red pepper and 2 tbs of cayenne powder to the mix
also

Yup

See what the ingredients are in the LEM. Dextrose in it will give a bit more tang and you might have to cut back the BM to just a tad under 1 cup

SL2010

ok thanks if they look as good as yours i will post pics

Drac

Ok, someone want to explain how when keeping the temp between 160-175 the IT of the sticks will go up and down?  I had hit 180 and I dropped the temp 10.  The temp dropped to 165.  The IT dropped from 140 to 134. 

How can the IT drop when the temp of the cabinet is still higher than the IT?  Physics say that's not possible.

Jim

goblism

Had my PID get goofy from the cold weather tonight, just checked my sticks and my cabinet temp was 220 F.   Accidentally put my maverick probe through the snowblower..own fault.  Now a few of the sticks had the grease come out

Drac

If things don't get weirder the sticks can out smooth.  Placed them in the dehydrator overnight and they are still fairly plump.  They have slim jim textures but they are still pretty close to the 17mm I started with.  Strange.

BTW is there any difference between the clear vs. the mahogany casings?

Jim

pwaldman

NePaS,

You are the snack stick king  ::) and as such I have read most of your postings.  The idea of buttermilk caught my attention but when I researched futher the final sticks you show are for the beer sticks you made  :o.  Nothing against beer but was curious about the taste difference of the beer sticks vs buttermilk sticks?  The final sticks you have in your buttermilk posting look equally as good if not a bit darker (unless it is just the picture).  I'm about to do 5 lbs of AC Leggs and wanted your take on the differences.

Pete

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pwaldman on January 05, 2011, 01:38:42 PM
NePaS,

You are the snack stick king  ::) and as such I have read most of your postings.  The idea of buttermilk caught my attention but when I researched futher the final sticks you show are for the beer sticks you made  :o.  Nothing against beer but was curious about the taste difference of the beer sticks vs buttermilk sticks?  The final sticks you have in your buttermilk posting look equally as good if not a bit darker (unless it is just the picture).  I'm about to do 5 lbs of AC Leggs and wanted your take on the differences.

Pete

Beer sticks have that hopp taste to them. Buttermilk has a twang and creaminess to the meat. I have a few secrets that i dont share very easily  :D

Leggs is good stuff.

pwaldman

Thanks.  So what's the price of a little more of the master's secrets? ???