• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Scottish Bangers question

Started by Keymaster, December 27, 2010, 03:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keymaster

I have a 9 pound pork butt, A Canadian wife that wants me to make Scottish Bangers. Ive seen plenty of English Bangers recipes, I was wondering if there both the same. If you could help me out that would be great otherwise I'm making her English Banger and doin a name change to Scottish Bangers  ;D I plan on grinding the Pork Butt tomorrow  ;)

Tenpoint5

Key I have never heard of Scottish Bangers. I do have a recipe for British Bangers from Len Poli. Here it is:

British Bangers

U.S. Ingredient Metric Percent
5 lb. Pork shoulder 2270.0 g 83.61
1½ cups Pork broth 325.0 ml 11.97
1 cup Rusk (or Breadcrumbs) 70.0 g 2.58
5 tsp. Salt 36.0 g 1.33
4 tsp. Pepper, white 9.0 g 0.33
1 tsp. Ground ginger 1.7 g 0.06
1 tsp. Mace 1.7 g 0.06
½ tsp. Nutmeg 1.0 g 0.04
1 tsp. Rubbed sage 0.7 g 0.03
35mm hog casings
6 lb. ! Totals " 2.7 Kg 100%

Note: I used metric weight/volume measurement for better control of ingredients. The
U.S. measurements are an approximation of the metric measurement.

Method:
1. Chill the pork until it is partially frozen, then grind through a medium (10mm or 3/8")
plate and regrind through a fine (4.5mm or 3/16") plate.
2. Place the remaining ingredients in a spice mill and pulse several times to blend well.
3. Store in the refrigerator overnight to meld and blend the flavors with the meat.
4. Stuff into 35mm casings and tie off into 5 inch lengths.
5. Hang at room temperature until the casing are dry; refrigerate and use within the next
week or freeze.
Recipe by: Len Poli - Sonoma, California
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SL2010

10.5 that sounds good but i had to google what mace was i have never heard of it

Keymaster

That might work Tenpoint, Thanks!!!! I remember when I used mace for the first time, I looked it up too, Smells like nutmeg to me or vice versa  :)

BuyLowSellHigh

Mace and nutmeg are different parts of the seed from the same plant.  Nutmeg is the true seed, mace comes from a thin coat that surrounds the nutmeg within the seed pod.  Flavors are very similar, with mace being a bit more subtle.  The Dutch use a lot of mace in flavoring their sausages and other ground meat dishes (e.g., meatballs).
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Indy Smoker

What is a banger ???  You got me curious. . . .

Drac

A traditional British sausage.  Served with mash pototos as in "bangers and mash" as pub food.  Very common in American "British" Pubs.  Also served in a traditional British breakfast called a fry up - bangers, fried eggs, baked beans, grilled mushrooms and tomatoes (fried) are common.

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

Keymaster

Thanks for the explanation on the difference between Mace and Nutmeg BLSH!! I also the the commentary on "whats a banger", Excellent explanation Jim. I was going through the cupboard today looking at spices to make sure I had everthing. I pulled out the ground Ginger, opened it smelled it, Nothing, no smell so I look at the date and it says sell before 9/23/94 tossed that in the garbage. Then I went  to the store on a search for pork stock, Not, no one makes it not even that chipmunk lookin Rachel Ray or Emeril, So I got some chicken stock thinking I might use that in its place. I was thinking of when I cut the bone out of the Pork but I could boil the snot outa that and make my own Pork stock.Any way the moral of the story is I'm on vacation and I'm doin the Brittish bangers tomorrow, instead of today  ;D

Drac

carnie1

Sounds good, Speaking of scottish, have you ever had scottish eggs? pretty easy to make , its hard boiled eggs wrapped in sausage then breaded and deep fried http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/scotch-eggs/Detail.aspx

Drac

Quote from: carnie1 on December 29, 2010, 07:27:53 AM
Sounds good, Speaking of scottish, have you ever had scottish eggs? pretty easy to make , its hard boiled eggs wrapped in sausage then breaded and deep fried http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/scotch-eggs/Detail.aspx

Love them.  One of the best things created.  Make them at home more times than I should.

Jim

Keymaster

I got up this morning on a Banger mission. I pulled the Pork butt out of the refer and cut it open and realized the wife got me a bone in picnic shoulder with the skin still on it. I figure no problem, I'll just skin it like I do a salmon, well that didn't work so well, I pretty much butchered it to get the meat and fat off the bones (sorry if yor a butcher), I ended up with about 6.5 pounds of meat from a 8.75 pound  butt. So I ground it all up with the biggest plate my grinder came with

Then I added all the spices and bread crumbs to the mix and I used the chicken stock with Tenpoint fives recipe then I did a test fry

The days not starting good, Burnt the eggs, burnt the toast and the banger patties are a little to salty

So I go to the store and get a pound of ground pork come home and mix it in with all the rest and regrind it with the medium plate and then i'm ready to stuff

The wife gave me a hand and since this was for her she got to make them the length she remembered from her younger years, I guess short and fat is where it's at. We had a good time with this project , just gotta foodsaver them next

SL2010

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Waltz

Hi,
I have just come across this thread, I live in Scotland and as far as I know (and can taste) Scottish and English bangers are pretty much the same.  Some local butchers make their own which have various blends of spices, most are fairly coarse ground - like a Cumberland Sausage as on this link
http://www.sausagelinks.co.uk/recipe_detail.asp?id=56 
There is a type of sausage which is peculiar to Scotland (apart from haggis which is another story) called a 'Lorne' or 'Square Slice' which is made from beef and pork, shaped into square blocks and does not have a casing, as here:
http://www.scotlands-enchanting-kingdom.com/scottish-lorne-sausages.html
so it is not really a 'banger'.

Waltz.