Noob still trying to get it right

Started by goalieboy29, July 31, 2005, 01:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goalieboy29

Hey Gang,

Starting to get the hang of the smoker. Have done ribs 5-6 times, a couple of butts, some turkey breasts/thighs, chicken and 2 briskets with more to come. Really enjoy the whole cooking process and am trying to improve my results.

My main problem is the ribs. They are kinda inconsistent. Sometimes the texture is there but not the flavour or they sometimes turn out tough. I mean the bone won't come out and they are a bit tough to seperate when eating. Can this be the meat of the guy cooking it?

Genreally, with ribs I like to use a nice rub, a bit of BBQ sauce towards the end and that's it. I cook for about 4 hours (internal temp of 170) with around 5-6 pucks of various woods. Try my best to keep the temp around 200-225 throughout.

Anything I'm doing wrong? I have not yet produced fall of the bone tenderness and that is really bugging me. I think our pork tends to be a bit leaner in Canada but I bet you boys could make it melt.
Anyone care to share some thoughts.

Thanks fellas,

goalieboy29

It's the wood that makes it good...
It's the wood that makes it good.

Oldman

Hey I think Duck Man (MallardWacker) has got ribs down good. Why not E-mail him? I would help but ribs is something I do on another type of cooker.... although I have been giving thought to doing some in the Bradley.

In fact I will E-mail him the link to this thread.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

Just keep cooking them longer.  If they are not tender enough they aren't done.

Now Olds what are u cooking them in?

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Now Olds what are u cooking them in?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Green Egg.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MWS

Hey GB29 (Felix),

Sounds like youv'e been busy with the Brad. What I do with ribs is add a good rub and then smoke at 215-220 for 3 hours (9 pucks). At this point I then wrap them in foil with a bit of apple juice (or apple slices) and cook for another 2 hours. I always have beautiful pull apart (not fall apart) ribs. I think if they are at the fall apart stage, they are cooked to long. Also, I never apply a sauce because they are that good without. Ribs have been my specialty with the guests. I have just created a rib rub that I'm really excited about and will post later.

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Now Olds what are u cooking them in?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Green Egg.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

[:D][8D][;)] Preferred method?

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

goalieboy29

Thanks for the help guys. Guess I need to aad a bit more time. Will post again with my next batch.

Chhers,

goalieboy29

It's the wood that makes it good...
It's the wood that makes it good.

MallardWacker

goalieboy29,

Some wise old Bradley Smoker once said "Ribs are an Adventure".  They are typically one of the first things folks try and one of the first things they find disappointment in.  I appreciate what Olds said but Bill and Jeff might have more to say than I.  What I have found is (just recently I might add) that I do smoke them for about four hours then I pull them-wrap them in foil then cook them in the BS for about another 1.5-2 hrs.  If you really like fall of the bone-I mean like eating them with your fork just keep them in longer with the foil.  I personally don't like that; I pull them at that time then finish them on the grill with or without my favorite sauce.  They seem to still hold together enough to grill and still be super tender and great flavor.

If you are shooting for an internal temp it must be closer to the 180 mark, at 170 you may or may not be through rendering the ribs at that point.  And this will make a difference if you are using loin backs or spares.

Hang in there, you will have you time in the sun.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Foam Steak

EUREKA! "pull them-wrap them in foil" then put them back in the smoker.  I am going to try that.  Thanks for the tip Mr. Whacker.

I may try this with a brisket as well.  It is just so danged dry out here, I have serious problems with drying out using longer cooking times.  Foil may be the ticket to success.  

Chez Bubba

GB,

Don't measure your progress in smoking based on ribs. As someone who can honestly say I've read almost every post on this forum, a recurring theme presents itself. To <b>consistantly</b> make ribs that are perfect is one of the hardest things to accomplish and takes many, many tries.

Just keep reading the advice of some of the experieced masters here (Not me, I'm still learnin' with ribs.) & you will eventually get it down. But it's not nearly as easy to fine tune as say, chicken or butt.

[8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?