New Guy Says Hi

Started by GrillinFool, August 06, 2005, 11:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrillinFool

Hi to you all this looks like my kind of forum. I have yet to buy a new BS, but, I can tell this is one toy I have to have. I have a couple questions for you though.

I have my outdoor kitchen with a big stainless grill in it and I want to install this into the island thing that holds the grill. Everything is steel or cement.

1- Does the outside of the BS get hot? Can I install it some how in my built in grill island or will that trap heat and smoke?

2- how much smoke comes out? My grill island is actually in a screen Lanai (screened pool room for you guys up north). If I get too much smoke it will fill up the lanai. Can this be vented with a chimney?

Any one have experience with any of this? I will likely just buy one and figure it out later, but I felt like saying hi and asking some NooB stuff.

Thanks for any feedback [8D]

nsxbill

You can install in a cabinet, but smoke comes out of the top and has to go somewhere.  The cabinet doesn't get hot.  I have both of mine under a covered porch on the back deck.  It generates smoke...but not enough to get worried about.  I roast my own coffee a couple of times a week, and the neighbor actually came over to see if my porch was on fire once.  It is nothing in comparison.

If I had to do it all over again, I would patronize Chezbubba.com.  They get the equipment to you quickly, and you automatically get a break on purchases of future bisquettes.  Good people and quick shipping and after the sale assistance are all big plus!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

GrillinFool

Yeah I had the neighbor check on my "burning house" once too. I gave him some brisket the next day and now all is cool.

Thanks for the input. The grill island has a spot for a small fridge and I am thinking that is just the right place for a new SBS. How often will I need to get at the back and sides for service or while using? I am already seeing some challenges with the biscuit feeder tube if I go for a totally clean looking install.

Oldman

First I would not install the Bradley anywhere that it can get wet.  Next, the back of my unit does get hot from about 1/3 way up to the ground. Hot enough you don't want to leave your hand on it.

I believe Chez told me his does too.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Kummok

GF:
Take a look at:  http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1672

It features a non-Bradley box, but WOW, the ideas it can give you!!

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Habanero Smoker

I just like to add that you may want to consider placing your BS at counter top height. At that height it is much easier to load/unload, change water bowl etc. My first couple of smokes, the BS was sitting on the deck floor. I later got a cart, and wow! what a difference in ease of use.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GrillinFool

Yep Kummok that is exactly what I am doing, except mine will be in a roof covered location, and not quite as big. great ideas and feedback from you all. I think I need to have the BS delivered and of course use it a few times [:D] then decide what will work best. And if i am like Habanero, and I want to move it, then what lol. And I will be hot smoking most, but I should able to vent the heat, and hopefully some smoke, to some extent out from the island. I will keep you guys posted on this project and thanks for the ideas!

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If I had to do it all over again, I would patronize Chezbubba.com. They get the equipment to you quickly, and you automatically get a break on purchases of future bisquettes. Good people and quick shipping and after the sale assistance are all big plus!

Bill<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I've second this. I have purchased from Chez and man is he ever on the money. Order it today and a couple of days later it is here. If you unit for the most part is going to be hidden Chez does have a scratch and dent sale going on.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

GrillinFool

ok so here is the update. you were all right about Chez. ordering was a great experience, more like a phone call with a neighbor or old friend. Saved a few bucks on a scratch and dent since I will be installing this into the grill island. The SSBS showed up and I was too excited to install it without using it first.

Hands down the best ribs I ever made, and possibly better than any I have eaten in a long time. I used my version of "Thrill of the Grill" All South BBQ Rub. I add garlic and hold off on the cayenne. I actually put the ribs in at 8AM, the big pork spare ribs not baby's.

I didnt pre heat well and I left for work. Called home and had my wife increase the box temp a couple times until it stayed at 210F. Smoked 12 pucks, half apple half pecan.

I came home at 2,splashed some beer on em and some white vinegar, int temp of 178F and wrapped them in foil. back into the smoker at 250F Got home from work at 5:15, lol a little early for me cause of the Rib Holliday. Tossed the foil wrapped ribs in a towel and into the cooler for 1.5 hours, int temp 189F. Served as is with Cattleman's original sauce thinned slightly with white vinegar on the side.

I was really confident with everything because of this forum and all of the great advice you guys put in here. I cant believe the quality of bbq that was served here tonight.Thanks to all of you and next time Ill put in some photos of the final install! I wonder if I can install it while it is smoking? I hate to miss out on a saturday bbq.

Thanks again to all of you!

Arcs_n_Sparks

GrillinFool,

Welcome to the forum; it's a great place with good advice and receipes. Sounds like the inaugural smoke went well; need to get some pics posted.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Chez Bubba

GF,

It's good to hear. Glad you can appreciate it like we do.

Don't be a stranger,

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, GF!  You made a smart move buying from Chez . . . you might consider getting a dual probe (cabinet + meat) wireless thermometer.  A lot of us like the Maverick ET-73, and it runs $35-40 at various places.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

GrillinFool

Thanks for the welcome guys. [:D]

I still havent installed yet but managed to get alot of bbq done today. Had to go to a wedding yesterday until 11PM but had promised a brisket cook out for today. So I figured I would see how dependable the SSBS really is. Rubbed the brisket at 3PM saturday and went to the wedding. When I got home at 11 I set the Bradley to high and put the brisket on the counter to get it ready. I put the brisket in at 12 and went to bed. Lol I brought my redi-check and put it next to the bed. Interesting response from my wife when the brisket hit 170 at 4AM and the meat alarm went off. I got up and wrapped it in foil and went back to sleep. At 7AM the alarm went off again at 190 lol. Is this fun or what?

Not a bad brisket over-all. bonless chicken thighs were really good and hickory-smoked baked beans, with left over rib meat chopped into them, rocked.

Fuzzybear

Congrats Mr. Fool!  Kidding aside, I'm glad you are happy with the products, let alone the services from Chez.

Lots of folk here will only be to happy to share their experiences and knowledge with Mr. Bradley's namesake, but, you are already aware of this!

I often get on the web to late to provide any helpful information anymore as the astounding members here on this site are quick to jump in and offer help and advice.

Geez kids, I sound kinda sappy here!  Dang that Juniper berry juice!  Hey Kirk, speaking of the Juniper - there's an outfit in Boise what distills their own brand "Bardenay" - if you get a chance to find it (providing the export it out your way) it's worth every bit as much as the "Blue bottle".

Later

Fuzz

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Hey Kirk, speaking of the Juniper - there's an outfit in Boise what distills their own brand "Bardenay" - if you get a chance to find it (providing the export it out your way) it's worth every bit as much as the "Blue bottle".
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">He is out of town until later this week... helping his Mother.

Olds