Moose meat brine

Started by scoville, December 28, 2010, 07:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoville

I have a 3lbs moose meat rump,does anyone have a good brine recipe for moose jerky?

Caribou

I made a batch of moose jerky using High Mountains Original jerky seasoning/kit and it came out great.
But I'm sure someone on the forum can come up with a good "non-kit" suggestion. :)
Carolyn

SL2010

Is moose real gamey or does it have a smooth taste like elk

unclebuck

The gamey taste of an animal taken from the wild has a lot to do with how the animal was handled.  Was the animal "gutshot"?  Did it run for a distance after it was first shot?  When gutting, did you puncture the gut or bladder?  Was the animal in rut?  If so when skinning it, did the hair side of the hide touch the meat?  How much hair was left on the meat when it was cut up?  All of these factor strongly into what the final product will be that you put on the table.  My wife & I both prefer moose to elk.  

Brine the I have used for my moose jerky for many years based on 5lb

8 cups filtered water
2 T uniodized salt
4 T Mrs. Dash original seasoning
1/2 cup demarara sugar
1/2 cup fancy molasses
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 T crushed garlic
1 1/2 T onion powder
1 T red pepper flakes

Mix in stainless steel bowl or stone crock.
Slice meat across the grain 1/4" thick and submerge in brine overnight in refrigerator.  Drain in morning and lay out on racks to air dry for an hour or so.  Put in smoker and dry and smoke to your particular palate!!!  Enjoy.  

what can't be smoked can't be eaten

Piker

I have done lots of moose jerky and have had very poor luck with brining. I follow the recipe closely and it seems to come out tasteless. I tried a dry rub Hi Mt. and it was excellent. I now use my own spices , leave them sit in frig for 24 to 48 hrs. depending on thickness of slice and I use a dehi as it is out of the cold and very easy to control temp. and do not have to rotate trays. Piker