Proud of yourselves ???

Started by grnhs, January 03, 2011, 08:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grnhs

As My mother used to say, are you proud of yourself!
Well, I was going to smoke a wild turkey yesterday that my son got, but it didn't cooperate thawing in the fridge and I had to postpone it a day.
So yesterday I finally got it into the brine and needed something to do.

You folks had me so cranked up about cheese by the time I got off work Sat night, and the weather was plenty cold, I hit 2 grocery stores and left with bags of cheese.

Here's the starting lineup-
pepito
cheese curds
swiss
creem cheese
a few hickory farms from Christmas gift
pepperjack
x-sharp ceddar
colbyjack
Havarti jalapeno

I cut most in half and saved a small piece of each in the natural state to test with the finished when ready,
first batch 2 hrs apple at around 85*
second batch 2:20 pecan at around 80*
spinkled a little cumin seed on some

cooled outside for a bit at 28* then into the fridge until it was their turn to be vac packed.
I did struggle for a while with the temp on the first bbatch without a cold smoke setup(thought the ambient temp would keep cabinet down).
I finally found the right sized allen wrench that held the door open at the right gap.
I cannot thank you all enough for educating me so I don't have to learn by trial and error.(too much anyway)
Dave

P.S. Turkey is in now . pics to follow.

GusRobin

looks good- waiting for the turkey pics
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

I think you should be proud of yourself! Cheese looks great!

Don't ask for merci from these guys, they will just post more to

make you want to do more. But it sure is fun!

ArnieM

Glad you got the cheese going.  The cream cheese holds up very well under some heat.  Now comes the hard part - waiting.

Also waiting for the turkey pics.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

smoker pete

Looks like a nice batch of cheese grnhs.  Glad you said you sprinkled some cumin seed on some of the cheese cause I was trying to figure out if you were smoking some ants!!  ;D ;D ... Smoke it and Forget it !!  IMHO you should walk away for at least 4 weeks or longer.  Keep the cheese hidden in the far regions of your fridge.

I find that putting a foil pan full of ice at the bottom of the smoker will help keep the temperature down.  Living in California I used the ice pan and a cold smoke adapter the last time I smoked some cheese.  I'm now done cutting the cheese and need to smoke a new batch.  Should not have waited so long cause now I'll be out of cheese for a while  :'(

Have visited the Tillamook Cheese plant in Tillamook, Oregon a few times and it's a real treat but just as good as their cheese is their ice cream.  They make great ice cream!

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

ronbeaux

You sure you didn't leave a bag sitting at the store? Seems a little short............ ::)
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

grnhs

Thanks guys
Ron, the pics are of the first batch :D
SP, I plan on resting it until about superbowl time.
Then i plan on having a cheese tasting gathering with something to wash it down.

Turkey is taking its sweet time though, only at 155 it so far

Tenpoint5

Looks good. The harder cheeses might need a little longer time to loose the ashtray taste.

Oh yeah, YES WE ARE PROUD of Ourselves!! We learned you something new to add to your arsenal of food.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Scottie's Gourmet Meats

Ok, so I've smoked some cheese in the past and it came out quite yummy, but I never let it set in the fridge for any length of time like I am reading here, so I ask, why let it set?
Scottie Gourmet Meats!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Scottie's Gourmet Meats on January 05, 2011, 02:26:13 AM
Ok, so I've smoked some cheese in the past and it came out quite yummy, but I never let it set in the fridge for any length of time like I am reading here, so I ask, why let it set?

The resting period allows the smoke time to penetrate deeper into the cheese. It also allows time for the microscopic ash particles that have deposited themselves on the cheese with the smoke time to dissipate. (So your cheese doesn't taste like your licking an ashtray)

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Up In Smoke

grnhs,
Those cheese curds....is that what they call squeakers??
and is it something that could be ordered online?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

grnhs

Quote from: Up In Smoke on January 22, 2011, 02:01:55 PM
grnhs,
Those cheese curds....is that what they call squeakers??
and is it something that could be ordered online?
I've never heard of squeakers. I get these at the local IGA, but the next time there I will get a producer name and info off of the bag. If that helps.
I know they come from Wisconsin.

Up In Smoke

That would be great! I have a friend that was talking about them....that is why i was asking.
I thought i would smoke some as a surprise.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Up In Smoke on January 22, 2011, 04:08:39 PM
That would be great! I have a friend that was talking about them....that is why i was asking.
I thought i would smoke some as a surprise.

Yes they are squeakers. When a cheese curd is really fresh they squeak when you bite into them.