Bayou Classic Deep Dryer

Started by wkahler, January 02, 2011, 10:52:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

Well i got myself a Bayou Classic deep fryer/boiler package coming in the mail.  I am sure that you guys have some good ideas for frying!?!?!?  Always wanted to do a turkey and never have enough space on the stove in the summer time for enough corn to boils o i guess this will be my new thing to play with for a while!!  Let me know if you guys have any suggestions or ideas for me to adventure into with the new toy!!  Really would like some good deep fried turkey ideas and recipes!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

pensrock

I do not know much about the deep frying but do know 100% peanut oil is expensive. Most of the people around here using big fryers are now using a blended oil that is only part peanut and is much less costly.

Up In Smoke

wkahler,
I have only done a couple fried turkeys. The most common mistake is overfilling the pot with oil, when you put the bird in it overflows and the burner ignites the oil.
A good way to determine how much oil you will need.
take the turkey (still in the package) and put it in the pot. fill the pot with water until the water level is about 1 inch over the bird. remove the bird from the pot and mark the water level on the pot. this will tell exactly how much oil you need to fry your turkey.
also make sure you bird is not frozen,  is patted dry and submerge it slowly into the oil.
as far as recipes, you can inject or rub the bird (or both) with your favorite seasonings.

Hope this helps. And good luck!!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

hal4uk

The peanut oil is expensive, but it's good
If you're going to the trouble to do a turkey anyway, and you have good peanut oil, do some potato chips after you pull the turkey!
You need something to do while it's resting anyway!

Slice Idaho potatoes thin, and immediately transfer to a big bucket full of cold water.
When ready to fry, drain them in a big colander, and toss 'em in quick -- ONE AT A TIME -- like dealing cards fast.
They fry up quick, and will be brown towards the edges (that's ok) --- Do 'em in batches.
Sprinkle 'em lightly with a good seasoning salt (like Paul Prudhomme's).

NOTE: If you ain't using peanut oil --- Don't do the chips.
Peanut oil is da bomb fer chippies.   8)

----
UIS is tellin' ya real good about that oil level...
LOTS of folks burn the dang house down (and worse) with these things.
BE CAREFUL. 
Awrighten.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

For saving money on the oil you can use a funnel and Eastman Outdoors Oil Funnel Filters or several layers of cheese cloth and strain the oil through that. Coffee filters don't work well. There are Frying Oil Filtering Pumps, but don't waste you money on those. They don't work all that well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SL2010

HS is right i work with alot of guys who use turkey fryers and they bought a big funnel and the cheese cloth method works great they are getting 3-4 uses(they cook ALOT of birds each time) after that it starts to get a little funky

wkahler

Best place to get cheesecloth.........LOL!?!?!?

wkahler

Also any estimates on the amount of oil needed to fry a turkey?  I have been doing some looking at it looks like they sell peanut oil in 3 gallon jugs.

Habanero Smoker

There are various type of cheese cloth, the most common you can find in grocery stores where they sell the kitchen utensils. Hardware stores are also a good source, but I'm not sure under what conditions they are packaged. I use a thicker cheese cloth, that is commonly used in baking etc., and it can be washed and reused. I got mine for King Arther when I was making an order for some other products.

I can't help you with the price of peanut oil. I don't deep fry that often anymore, ant it's been awhile since I've bought some.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SL2010

wkahler i know that my buddies get their oil for sam's club i dont know where you live if you have any there

wkahler

Got it guys!  I'm not worried about the price so much, just want to make sure i have enough when the time comes.  Is there a way to tell if the oil goes bad after you recycle it for reuse?  Store it in doors once it has been used once?

SL2010

I am not sure i will see these guys tonight and get the answers for you

wkahler

You the man!!
Quote from: SL2010 on January 03, 2011, 02:42:12 PM
I am not sure i will see these guys tonight and get the answers for you

Ka Honu

I've been frying or eating fried turkeys since I was a kid (way too many years ago to count) and love them dearly.  My recommendation, however, is to send it back before you open it and buy a Char-Broil Big Easy infrared cooker (original or Smoker-Roaster-Grill).  In terms of crispy skin and moist meat, the result is comparable, the process is much easier and safer, and your rub doesn't wash off in the hot oil.  The slight difference in taste is more than compensated for by the fact that you don't have to feed it gallons of expensive peanut oil. wait an hour for it to heat up, and let it cool for three hours before you dispose of those gallons of expensive peanut oil.  If that's not enough, you can use it for a host of other foods and are a whole lot less likely to burn parts of your body or your house.

Every time I've cooked a turkey in one of the infrareds, I've had at least one comment from a guest about it being "the best turkey I've ever eaten."  That includes guests who, like me, grew up on fried turkey.  This is one time when new technology is definitely superior to traditional methodology.

Just sayin'.

wkahler

Well heres the thing..............I have one of those too  ;D  So i am just getting this to venture into a different area of cooking.  I have always wanted to have a hush puppy party, I know that sounds strange I'm sure, and also just wanted to have the experience of cooking a bird this way.  I have made many birds in the infrared cooker for the past 5 Thanksgivings and with great result, so i can agree with you on that fact!

Quote from: Ka Honu on January 03, 2011, 11:23:35 PM
I've been frying or eating fried turkeys since I was a kid (way too many years ago to count) and love them dearly.  My recommendation, however, is to send it back before you open it and buy a Char-Broil Big Easy infrared cooker (original or Smoker-Roaster-Grill).  In terms of crispy skin and moist meat, the result is comparable, the process is much easier and safer, and your rub doesn't wash off in the hot oil.  The slight difference in taste is more than compensated for by the fact that you don't have to feed it gallons of expensive peanut oil. wait an hour for it to heat up, and let it cool for three hours before you dispose of those gallons of expensive peanut oil.  If that's not enough, you can use it for a host of other foods and are a whole lot less likely to burn parts of your body or your house.

Every time I've cooked a turkey in one of the infrareds, I've had at least one comment from a guest about it being "the best turkey I've ever eaten."  That includes guests who, like me, grew up on fried turkey.  This is one time when new technology is definitely superior to traditional methodology.

Just sayin'.