• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Going With Water

Started by NePaSmoKer, January 03, 2011, 02:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Have had it for awhile. Going to do 10 lbs of venison sticks this week.

lumpy

You gots the kewlest toys there Rick!

Let us know how it works

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: lumpy on January 03, 2011, 03:15:52 PM
You gots the kewlest toys there Rick!

Let us know how it works

One these days i gotta slow down...... :D

SL2010

pikeman is gonna help me build one of those ;D ;D let me know what you think of it you do have all the cool toys

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: SL2010 on January 03, 2011, 03:21:47 PM
pikeman is gonna help me build one of those ;D ;D let me know what you think of it you do have all the cool toys

Kirby is really up on the water powered stuffers.

ArnieM

Well Rick, at least you got it out of the box.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

pensrock

Is that one of Eldons water stuffers?

Scottie's Gourmet Meats

I've got the exact same one, used it this weekend for the first time, hated it! Very messy, and no matter how much (or little) lubrication you put on the piston, you still get water by the o-rings. And the time factor of stuffing the tube vs using the 25lb stuffer I've been using is incredibly higher. I did 40lbs of pepperoni this weekend and wasted about 3 hours of my time trying to use the water stuffer. I finally gave up and went back to the old standby hand crank 25lb stuffer (although an automatic one will be a nice addition some time in the future.....).

Just my opinion!
Scottie Gourmet Meats!

pikeman_95

I have researched the stuffer you are talking about. They use gravity to retract the piston which means the tolerance in the o rings can not be tight like they need to be. My stuffers uses small drill pumps to retract the ram and you can not un-crank a hand stuffer any faster. My O rings fit very tight and do not leak. I have stuffed hundreds of pounds with my 4 inch stuffers and never have any water blow buy. My stuffer piston is 2 inch thick solid poly. It does not distort with pressure. The tubes and fittings are schedule 40 PVC which are way over rated for the standard water pressure. Not all water stuffers are the same.

Kirby

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Scottie's Gourmet Meats on January 03, 2011, 04:52:38 PM
I've got the exact same one, used it this weekend for the first time, hated it! Very messy, and no matter how much (or little) lubrication you put on the piston, you still get water by the o-rings. And the time factor of stuffing the tube vs using the 25lb stuffer I've been using is incredibly higher. I did 40lbs of pepperoni this weekend and wasted about 3 hours of my time trying to use the water stuffer. I finally gave up and went back to the old standby hand crank 25lb stuffer (although an automatic one will be a nice addition some time in the future.....).

Just my opinion!

I don't use mine often because I purchased the 10 pound stuffer, and generally only make 5 - 6 pound batches. So I find using my 5 pound vertical stuffer more convenient. I've used mine 6 - 8 times since I bought it back in 2007; though your problem has been reported by others; I've never had a problem with water leaking into the chamber.

One thing that Eldon recommends in the literature that came with my stuffer, is when you initially use the stuffer only install the rear "O" ring. I'll try to find that information, because I can't recall why, and I can't locate the information on his website. I've also learned that for best results, stuff as soon as you finish mixing, before the sausage has time to set.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

lophole

I've used one for 7 years with no problems. I use 1 o-Ring and lub with crisco. I use it for 10lb and under batches. Easier cleanup. I use a Cabelas 22lb upright for bigger batches. I have put better than 500lbs of sausage, stix and jerky thru it. Still going strong and I like it.
lophole

bundy

Is that the same as a "Dakota Stuffer" ?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: bundy on January 04, 2011, 09:20:04 AM
Is that the same as a "Dakota Stuffer" ?

Yes.

I use Crisco shortening also. It works better than the oil.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Well i was going to stuff 5 lbs of venison sticks today with this stuffer..........BUT

I had a root canal and tooth pulled so i'm taking tonight off just to chat  :o

OU812

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 04, 2011, 02:59:21 PM

I had a root canal and tooth pulled so i'm taking tonight off just to chat  :o

DOUBLE WAMMIE OUCH!!!!!!!!