• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New to Bradley smokers

Started by D1ESEL09, January 05, 2011, 04:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1ESEL09

I have just purchased my first smoker last weekend, now have it seasoned as instructed by the instructions. Wondering if I could get a few tips on spare ribs that I plan to smoke this weekend.

Up In Smoke

D1ESEL09,
Give this one a shot.......works very well!
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0

Welcome to the forum!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

SoCalBuilder

Welcome D1SEL09 - UIS has you covered with that link. The 3-2-1 method is great for spares. If you end up with baby backs, you may want to back off a little and try 3-1-1.

Enjoy!

D1ESEL09

Hey, Up In smoke, Thanks for the link the suggestions are get, will try to follow the instruction to a 10. Hope my ribs turn out as good as those look 

D1ESEL09

I'm in Iowa were the weather is predicted to be a little chilly over the weekend, will I have trouble getting the unit up to the required temp, or is this a non factor and people just like to complain even when they have a great unit.

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum D1ESEL09,

Keep your Bradley out of the wind and you should be fine!
HawkeyeSmokes

GusRobin

As Hawkeye said, keep it out of the wind. Also try to avoid "peeking". Everytime you open the door you lose heat and with cold ambient temps the drop is larger. Make sure to pre-heat the cabinet and puck burner prior to putting the meat in. Let the meat sit at room temp for and hour or so before you put it in. Also, when filling the water bowl, fill with very hot water. Keep your vent more open than closed. (I recommend at least half open. I personally keep mine wide pen all the time.)
Regrading the 3-2-1 or 3-1-1 ---remember all meats, even if the same cut, are not created equal. You may find one that is more stubborn than the other. So look for signs of the meat pulling back from the bone, poke with a temp probe or toothpick for tenderness in addition to the time settings.
Other than that, you should be fine. As CRG says " its already dead so you can't hurt it'" If you run into any trouble or problems put up a post and someone will usually jump in with a quick response.
Good luck and enjoy.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Smokin Soon

Welcome D9. I might add that full sized spares are much more forgiving than Babybacks!

classicrockgriller

Welcome Diesel#9.

Like Gus said, if you run into a problem while smoking just

throw up a post and someone will answer your question.

Even the maid here at the Forum knows how to smoke. ;D

hal4uk

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 05, 2011, 08:27:59 PM
Even the maid here at the Forum knows how to smoke. ;D
If only we could teach the ice girl how to do something...

-----------------
Welcome to the madness, D9!

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum D1ESEL09!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

beefmann

welcome aboard and id go with ribs, chicken, steaks

TestRocket

Congrats on the new smoker, good luck on the ribs and welcome to the forum!  ;D

D1ESEL09

Couldn' t wait for the weekend to use the smoker, so tonight smoked 8 quater pound hamburgers for a test run. They turned out great and my 3 kids told me some of the best ever. My only concern is I could only get tempup to 250 degrees and was in my garage which temp in there was around 35. I had temp control on high the whole time which was equal to about 3 hrs and that is all the hotter it would get. Door was not opened during cooking so I did not lose temp because of that. Any suggestions on how to get internal temp higher.