Weston Sausage Stuffer manufacturing defect: No good, or Ok to use?

Started by mjdeez, January 05, 2011, 06:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjdeez

I just got a brand "new" Weston sausage stuffer, and its got a couple of gashes down the inside. Looks like some manufacturing defects.  I say that it is "new" because the box it was shipped in looks like hell (all torn up) and something about the way the feet of the stuffer dug into the styrofoam two different ways make it seem like it was packed correctly at first, then incorrectly when I got it. Seems like a refurb.

Anyway, so here's a link to the stuffer:

Here's a couple of pics. The there's one long gash that goes down a little more than halfway down and a four shorter ones at the bottom (2" each). They are not rough gashes (won't cut myself of the rubber seal on the piston) but it is maybe 1/32" deep and 1/16" or so wide. No other problems found, but should I return this? I don't want it to screw up my sausage making.  It actually seems like it will make it difficult to clean in these areas.

Thanks.

GusRobin

I would contact the place you bought it and return it. Or at a minimum get a discount and partial refund.When I pay for something I expect to get it in pretty much perfect shape. I expect them to package it so that I get it without damage. If not, I expect a replacement or some type of compensation. It is sometimes a pain in that you don't get to use your new toy right away, but that is how I am. I don't nit-pick but what you are showing may or may not be cosmetic, but would not be acceptable to me.  That's why I pay with a credit card because it is usually easier to deal with if your credit card has some type of protection program which most do to some degree
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Keymaster

Id send it right back and order a Lem Stuffer. Weston appears to not back there product and let there retailers do the work, please correct me if I am wrong.

Smokin Soon

If that scratch is something that you can catch with a fingernail, it will affect your o-ring. I would probably return it.

mjdeez

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

I got this one on sale, about half price, from Cabelas. So I'd rather stick with this brand and see if I can get a new one (hopefully without defects). 

I got it from Cabelas, ordered online and shipped. There's a Cabelas about an hour or so west of me, and they have pretty awesome customer service. They'd probably take it back for an even exchange.

I don't think it would damage the o-ring because the gash isn't sharp. I didn't even want to use the word gash cuz it sounds sharp, but it could be they noticed the defect and polished it out a bit to smooth it.

Indy Smoker

Hello mjdeez,

I also purchased the Weston stuffer form Cabelas at about half price (11 Lb shipped for $135).  The box was also rather beat up and I was concerned about the condition of the stuffer, which was in great shape.  I hadn't noticed the imperfections you described and you sent me into 'panic' mode when I read your post. I just took mine out of the box and have a slight groove in the same spot as in your picture.  I would call it more of a groove than a gash, and don't see it being an issue at all when stuffing saussage. 
I purchased the stuffer since I also own a Weston grinder, cuber attachment and jerky slicer attachment.  I have been very satisfied with their products and customer service - I ordered the cuber blades over a year prior to Cabelas selling them seperately.  I live about 15 minutes from the LEM whse and went with the Weston over Lem due to my previous satisfaction and the price, but much more so because of my satisfaction with my Weston equip.
If an exchange or refund will satisfy you then go for it.  But I don't see it as a problem at all and am sticking with mine the way that it is (which is just like yours)
Hope this helps you to sleep at night :) 

NePaSmoKer

When you have a scratch like that it mean the plunger has been taken up and down without the O ring (seal) on the plunger thus making the scratch. Return it or call cabelas.

mjdeez

A groove is definitely a better word for it, thanks.  And it is pretty smooth so I'm not too concerned about it damaging the o-ring. Maybe some meat might leak out but probably not much.  I think I'm going to keep it and see how it works.  I am not planning a trip out to Cabelas anytime soon but I'd head out there if I had to.  If I bring it back within a reasonable amount of time they'll take it back. 

NePaSmoKer

I used to work for Cabelas. They will take anything back even if they dont carry it  :D Its $$ for the cave.

marauder11

Just my two sense if it is like a groove i would say it is a bad weld. seen it on tanks a work before. if the weld did not fill the whole gap it would look like that.just my opinion.