• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First post fast meal.

Started by Caneyscud, January 05, 2011, 07:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

When you reach a more mature age, you get cameras poked into places where there shouldn't be cameras.  Haven't been able to eat in a day and a half.  So what do you eat for your first meal?

Well, our local Whole Paycheck had these things for sale.  Not them Frenchie black truffles, but tag said from Oregon - had no idea Oregon had them things.

Have read for years how exquisite shaved truffles on scrambled eggs is supposed to be - so hadda try it. 

Added some other goodies including avocado, dried Texas Jalapeno Sausage, Tuscan salami, cheeses - pretty good meal!

BTW - black truffles on scrambled eggs are pretty darn good!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

hal4uk

So THAT's what truffles look like.
I gotta get out more often.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Smokin Soon

I just looked that up, and it will never visit my eggs!!!!! ;D :D

Keymaster

Wife Just had the scopy as she just turned 50. They found 5 pollips and chopped them. we were supposed to go on a trip the next day but she was bleeding internally. I had to take her back to the hospital and she had to drink another Gallon of that stuff in an hour and get repaired. We petty much spent a week with doctors on our vacation. Her first meal was Prime rib and Lobster and is doing great Caneyscud.

Shasta bob

i'm from Oregon, Say what are those things i havent seen them here?
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

classicrockgriller

ewwwwwwwwwwww!

You have been away from Texas tooooooooo long Caney. ;D

hal4uk

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 05, 2011, 08:39:39 PM
ewwwwwwwwwwww!

Apparently, I've been away from Nashville too long...
Next time I'm down there at the "Awful Waffle" playing "Grab-@ss" with "Ginger"...
I'm gonna ask for my hash browns "Smothered, Covered, and Truffled"!!!!

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KyNola

Caney,
It would appear you and I are in the minority here as I happen to love truffles on just about anything.  Great to add to a very simple pasta dish at the last minute before serving.  Great with poultry.

I'm headed down your way in May and will be going to the Whole Foods in Green Hills.  Hope they have them at that time.  Where were these located in the store?  Over in the produce section with the mushrooms perhaps?

Caneyscud

Quote from: Keymaster on January 05, 2011, 07:46:27 PM
Wife Just had the scopy as she just turned 50. They found 5 pollips and chopped them. we were supposed to go on a trip the next day but she was bleeding internally. I had to take her back to the hospital and she had to drink another Gallon of that stuff in an hour and get repaired. We petty much spent a week with doctors on our vacation. Her first meal was Prime rib and Lobster and is doing great Caneyscud.
Oh man, that didn't sound like fun at all.  I had 2 polyps - but no bleeding.  The stuff they had me drink - tasted like what we used to get during football in the years before Gatorade - brought back good memories.  Now my wife has another story - she had her scope 3 weeks ago and it caused her to throw up and she couldn't finish it. 

Quote from: Shasta bob on January 05, 2011, 07:56:45 PM
i'm from Oregon, Say what are those things i havent seen them here?
Black Truffles - they also had White Truffles.  Subterranean Fungi in other terminology - usually located among Oaks and hunted for by trained dogs and pigs over in Frenchie and Italian lands.   The tag said from Oregon - I assume they were collected/grown there, but might have been imported through there.  At $10 per ounce ($160 per lb) they are not something I do often, (the dry-aged steaks are cheaper per pound), but are fun every once in a while.  Have not had the Frenchie ones in at least a couple of decades, but these were milder.  They can be an acquired taste - can be pretty dark, moldy, and pungent tasting, that is why the ewwwwwww's   

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 05, 2011, 08:39:39 PM
ewwwwwwwwwwww!

Now, CRG you are right I have been away, but I do get life saving supplies regularly.  I did have some Dried Texas Jalapeno Sausage on the plate for reminiscing.  My Sister just brought it up with her.  Don't know where she got it, but I would suspect either HEB, or more probably either Granzines in New Braunfels or somewhere in Lockhart.  She gets around culinarly pretty widely - she teaches culinary arts in a very small town High School, takes some culinary courses, and does some catering.  Anyways, the sausage is killer.  Have eaten tons of the dried sausage, but not a Jalapeno version. 

Quote from: hal4uk on January 05, 2011, 08:56:31 PM
Apparently, I've been away from Nashville too long...
Next time I'm down there at the "Awful Waffle" playing "Grab-@ss" with "Ginger"...
I'm gonna ask for my hash browns "Smothered, Covered, and Truffled"!!!!

I'm assuming Ginger is probably toothless, has hair dyed red, and on the downside of 50.  So I would assume if you asked for your hash browns "Smothered, Covered, and Truffled" she'd probably go "Huh?"

jiggerjams

Caney can you describe the flavor? I was expecting the price to be slightly higher for the importing. I have been very interested in this product but I have had no availability up here....crappy.

One way of stretching out your purchase may be to make a truffle oil.

JJ

Caneyscud

Quote from: KyNola on January 06, 2011, 07:18:31 AM
Caney,
It would appear you and I are in the minority here as I happen to love truffles on just about anything.  Great to add to a very simple pasta dish at the last minute before serving.  Great with poultry.

I'm headed down your way in May and will be going to the Whole Foods in Green Hills.  Hope they have them at that time.  Where were these located in the store?  Over in the produce section with the mushrooms perhaps?

Yep, the Green Hills store, but they have changed up that section a bit.  Where the mushrooms were, they now have bulk bins with mini veggies, and already cut, sliced, and diced veggies for the "Buffy's" of the world who don't want to dirty their French Tips.  The mushrooms are now to the far right of that past the prepackaged salad stuff.  I do hope they continue to have them, I enjoy having them in the repertoire.  But at $10 per ounce ($29.99) per package, I'm sure Nashvegas will not rush to purchase!  Or like CRG - they'll take a whiff and go ewwww.....!  Maybe, by the time you get here they will have the new Cool Springs/Franklin store open. 

Caneyscud

Quote from: jiggerjams on January 06, 2011, 07:27:25 AM
Caney can you describe the flavor? I was expecting the price to be slightly higher for the importing. I have been very interested in this product but I have had no availability up here....crappy.

One way of stretching out your purchase may be to make a truffle oil.

JJ
JJ,
You do know that there are now forum members that are groaning and saying, why did he go and do that – asking Caney for a description and opinion!   

Hard to describe tastes.   But, in past I had read this description about black truffles (I researched and found it again – in some Renaissance writings)   The Renaissance guy who wrote this compared them to 'unwashed slatterns' and 'bedchambers, rooms of sexual congress, unaired and reeking of the recent activities contained therein.'  Or how about this description of the aroma - "A female pig is an expert truffle hunter. Naturally drawn to the smell, which is reminiscent of eau de male pig."  Better is "it tastes of the fragrant depths of the earth. Eating it is almost a mystical experience — feeding the soul as well as the belly."  If that doesn't get your salivary glands working, how about this description "Ah, the incredible bliss of truffles. Haunting and heady, they are food for the gods and sheer poetry for the mortal mouth."  I think a better description is real earthy – tasting very powerfully of mushroom.   Imagine a dark, earthy, musky, pungent mushroom flavor combined with the earthy pungent overtones of a dry cured salami or an aged cheese.  The black is more earthy and pungent than the white truffles usually.  White truffles have a subtler, slightly floral, garlicy taste.   I am not a fan of truffle oil usually,  - most truffle oil contains no truffles in it, but artificial flavoring.  The taste, to me is nowhere the same - much more pungent and acrid.  However, you can get a pretty good idea of what they taste like from truffle oil, sprinkled on eggs, pasta, or potatoes.  It is usually far less expensive than the truffle itself.  Might have to try making it - has to be better than the artificial stuff.  You can usually find truffles to buy on Amazon.  I think they are usually canned or in a glass jar. 

What possesses one to fork over large chunks of your paycheck for an underground tuber?  Record price is $330,000 for a particularly big one that weighed about 3.3 pounds.  Truffles are one of those foods that just oozes umami.  Umami, in eating terms is the meaty, savory ripe taste of mushrooms and aged cheeses, balsamic vinegar and anchovies. Truffles are the very essence of umami: earthy, rich, dark and mysterious.  Or maybe it is just plain one-upmanship -I've got a bigger truffle than you do!!

classicrockgriller

;D I knew you were drifting toward the deep end but I did not know

it was gonna happen so fast.

Daughter (lives in your Town) was down for Christmas and I should have

checked with you to see if you needed some Texas supplies.

If there is something you need from God's Country (Texas) let me know.

There still may be time to HELP you. ;D

Seriously, that was interesting. Thanks Caney.

OU812

So, in short, does a truffle taste like a Morel Mushroom?  ;D