• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Dehydrating

Started by Big_T, January 08, 2011, 04:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_T

Not only did my gracious in-laws give me an OBS for X-mas but they game me a dehydrator.  Does anyone know of any good sites with recipes and how-to's on dehydrating?  I am not sure what to dehydrate.  Maybe some fruit and fruit roll-ups or any other suggested goodies.  I liked my smoked jerky last time I smoked so I don't think I will try that.    Tomorrow I would like to fire it up but I have never used one.  I would do some smoking tomorrow but I want to wait until my new foodsaver and meat slicer arrive in the mail.   :)  Until then I might as well try dehydrating out.

GusRobin

some people smoke their jerky and then finish it in the dehydrator.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

pikeman_95

I put a heavy smoke on my jerky get it up to heat and then finish it in the dehydrator. I find I get more consistant texture that way.

kirby

Up In Smoke

Just did a load of jalapeno's and have a load of orange slices in now.
it depends on what you want.
the jalapeno's will go into a sauce
and the orange slices will be part of a rub i am working on for
pork roast.
your imagination is your guide.........let it lead!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

pensrock

I dry peppers after smoking. I also like to get sliced pineapple with natural juice. I put the juice in a bowl and slice apples and bananas and coat with the juice. Then dehydrate the pineapple, apples and bananas.

Big_T

I found a recipe for some dog/cat treats but we have like 30 lbs of oranges from our local FFA (Future Farmers Of America) so I am not sure what to do.  Do you think if I did the dog treats and fruit at the same time that the fruit would taste like dog treats?  I would like to do them together but I am not sure it would be a good idea.

FLBentRider

Candied pineapple.

If you're interested I can dig up the recipe I used.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

jiggerjams

I think I would keep the pet food and fruit in seperate batches to be safe. We did a BBQ fundraiser one year for a base ball team and all families had to look after condiments. Our family had onions. I prepared WAY to many onions. After thinking a bunch (it started to hurt) I decided to dehydrate the chopped onions. Best idea I had. They turned out great and I am still using them from 3 years ago. Add great flavor to sauces, marinades, and I add them to my macaroni and cheese cassarole.

Like the Bradley smoker the dehydrators are very universal and it is yours to explore.I agrees with others and I would not eliminate using the dehydrator in the jerky making process.

Have fun,
Jigger

Up In Smoke

FLB i wouldn't mind having the pineapple recipe if you dig it up.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Big_T

Yes!  Please dig up the pineapple recipe!

FLBentRider

I kinda made it up as I went along, but here goes from memory:

I skinned and cored the pineapple, then cut into 1 inch chunks - consistent size is important to ensure even drying.

Then combine:

2 cups sugar

1 cup water

bring the water and sugar to a boil, carefully add pineapple. stir fairly frequently.

boil for 45 minutes, or until the pineapple chunks are translucent.

You are boiling away the water and replacing the water in the pineapple with sugar.

Allow to cool, until you can handle it to put in the dehydrator.

I run it at 100F until I get the texture I want, around 24 hours or so.

Dredge in powder sugar, store in a sealed container in refrigerator.

I usually do 4 to 5 times this recipe when I do it.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Big_T

Thanks!!

So far so good.  Did some oranges, strawberries, pineapples, apples, and kiwis.  I hope it is done by the time I am ready for bed tonight.  If not I guess I can resume tomorrow but I am sure they will all be ready.  I did pick up a coffee grinder today and am thinking about doing a herb garden this summer and can use the dehydrator to dry them out and the grinder to chop them up.

smokeitall

I put my 80L in the garage (not allowed in the house) and do jalapenos and habaneros, then into the food processor, then eventually into sausage.  I cut the tops off, leave the seeds, and slice long ways laying them on their backs.  Have done a lot of fruit and jerky in it also.  Jerky comes out great.
SIA

Smokin Soon

QuoteI put my 80L in the garage (not allowed in the house)

Don't feel alone there, mine is banned as well. Nepa says the new ones are much more quiet. As noisey as they are, they really do a good job.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Smokin Soon on January 10, 2011, 04:56:05 PM
QuoteI put my 80L in the garage (not allowed in the house)

Don't feel alone there, mine is banned as well. Nepa says the new ones are much more quiet. As noisey as they are, they really do a good job.

Mines never been in the house. Started in the garage, stays there.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!