• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked meat in my Pho!

Started by JF7FSU, January 08, 2011, 05:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF7FSU

For those in the know, Pho is a generic term for Vietnamese soup.  Unlike Chunky this is really a meal.  They make it with all kinds of meats and some snarky organs too.  It is basically a beef broth simmered with meat and spices, sitting on a pile of rice noodles with whatever meat on top.  Then you get a separate plate of throw ins : culantro, basil, jalepeno, onion, bean sprouts, lemon, and fish sauce.  Add Siracha to spice it up more to taste.  Some put hoison sauce and chili paste too.   You eat it with a spoon and chopsticks.  I put some smoked pork in my Pho and improved the recipe by leaps and bounds.  I have a recipe I can post if anyone is interested. 

It looks like this

Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

DTAggie

Please share the recipe.  My son loves Pho and I have a freezer full of pulled pork

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

JF7FSU

Hey yo know the saying: "anything smoked tastes better!"

I have been playing around with this for quite some time, The key is the base and having all the fresh ingredients.  I have a lot of Asian grocery stores around so it's not a problem for me.  I believe you can mail order some of the stuff if you need it and live in a remote area.

Here is the stuff you need.

The base for the broth.  I prefer the Hue style beef base.  This is the typical broth. I use both in my broth. You have to get this at an Asian grocery store.  I'm sure you order it online as well. 

Rice Noodles.  Any kind will do.

This is Fish Sauce.  It is liquid sardines, salty and the key to all Asian cooking.  

Siracha Sauce (hot)

Culantro

Basil

Yellow Onion

Bag of bean sprouts

Jalepeno, lemon, scallions, red onion (optional)

If you want to use cold smoked meat cold smoke it and let it rest overnight.

Broth Preparation:

Blanch cold smoked meat 15 minutes, discard liquid and rinse meat. I place cold smoked meat in large pot.  Add water to cover meat.  You use one cube of the base to a half liter of water.  One box contains four cubes and I usually throw in all four.  Then I throw in a few spoons of the second base from the jar.  Add fish sauce.  I add about 3 T, this is to taste.  Add a whole yellow onion sliced. I add granulated garlic and little salt.  Bring to boil and simmer for 1.5 to 3 hours.  Slice meat into bite size pieces when done and put back into broth.

Using previously cooked meats: Make the broth as above you just don't need to cook as long.  I would do 20 minutes minimum.  Longer is ok.  Once your base is done you just need to prep the other items.

Boil your rice noodles for 5 minutes, put in colander to strain and place a small amount in the bottom of your empty bowl.

The traditional way to serve Pho is to serve it with the noodles, broth and meat already in the bowl, and for you to place the remaining ingredients on a side plate, tear them up and chuck them into the bowl to taste.  I find that chopping up the ingredients and putting them in the empty bowl with the noodles is better and then you pour the steaming broth on top.

Then chop up your Culantro or Cilantro, Basil, Jalepeno, Scallion, Red Onion, and throw a handful of bean sprouts in the bowl.   Bring the simmering broth to a rapid boil and pour right on top of the noodles and chopped up . Squeeze a wedge of lemon into the broth, add fish sauce and Siracha to taste and enjoy!   

I did mine with some pork butt I had previously smoked.  I prepared the broth and threw a few handfuls  of the pulled butt in the broth.  It was great.  You can play around with the recipe, this is only a guide and I am sure you can think of some new things to throw in the pot. 

3rensho

Thanks for the post and idea.  I'm a big Pho fan but have never tried smoked meat in it.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

JF7FSU

They also make a seafood broth and a few others.  I doubt anyone on this board doesn't eat meat..lol, however, seafood is ok too, you just have to watch the cooking times.

DTAggie

Thanks.  Already have a few of the ingredients with no shortage of Asian stores.  Will probably try this next weekend.