• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Canadian Bacon Help

Started by Bugnut, January 09, 2011, 08:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugnut

Looking for a little help, I have a nice 9lb loin and PS Seasonings Maple cure for a dry rub it states .07 per pound of meat however I don't have a scale to weigh this out. What would equate to in Tbls or tps. Thanks for the help in advance.

_Bear_

15 grams to a table spoon. I would get a scale, it's real easy to put on to much or to little cure without acurate measeurement.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=19138.0
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

KyNola

Quote from: Bugnut on January 09, 2011, 08:12:14 AM
Looking for a little help, I have a nice 9lb loin and PS Seasonings Maple cure for a dry rub it states .07 per pound of meat however I don't have a scale to weigh this out. What would equate to in Tbls or tps. Thanks for the help in advance.
".07 per pound of meat".  .07 what?  What I mean is .07 of what measurement? .07 of an ounce, .07 grams, .07 tablespoon. See what I'm asking?

Bugnut

My bad! This is how it is stated on pakage: For dry rub use .07 LB per 1 pound of meat.

Habanero Smoker

I know it states it is a cure, but can you check the list of ingredients and see if sodium nitrite is listed?

The reason I ask is that there is no list of ingredients on the site, and the #1 appears to be the total weight that is in the package.

Since premixed cures depends on the ingredients (each ingredient has it's own density) and the ratio at which they are mixed, the weight to volume is difficult to determine unless they provide an example on the package, or you have someone measure how much cure is there is in .07 ounce.

I would send them an email. They should be able to provide you with the correct conversion.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bugnut

PS Maple Cure Contains: Salt, Maple Sugar, Sugar, Sodium Nitrite (0.84%) Thanks for your input, I borrowed a scale and can now get this thing rolling! All the Canadian Bacon others have made looks so good. I can't wait till it's done. I'll post pics when finished.

Habanero Smoker

Great! The scale is the best way to go.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

watchdog56

Bugnut

Thanks for the input on making the best Canadian Bacon EVER!!!! I can't believe how east this is! On day three I added 1/3 cup of Door County Maple Syrup to each of the bags. Turned and massaged every day. Day 15 Rinsed and soaked in cold water 2 hours and rinsed again. Put another thin coat of syrup off to the smoker. The flavor is awesome not over powered by salt or Maple Flavor. I will be making this again soon, because when you give friends and family a taste... well lets just say it'll be gone before ya know it!!!!

KyNola

Looking good Bugnut!  nice going.  Great color inside and out.  I'll bet that doesn't last long!

deb415611

TestRocket

That's what I'm talking about! Very nice!   ;D

Quarlow

Mmmmm awesome and yes it is easy. But 15 days Wow. I use Habs method which only takes 7 days. Nice work there bugnut.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.