CALLING ALL CB MASTERS

Started by SL2010, January 17, 2011, 05:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SL2010

i have 3 -----2.5lb  loin roast thawing now i have been to recipe site this is gonna be my base

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?311-Canadian-Bacon

i would like to spice one up i would like to sweeten one and black pepper one can i just add the extra ingredients to the dry cure i was thinking

1TBS cayenne for the spicy

1TBS maple for the sweet

1TBS black pepper for the black pepper
any help will be appreciated thanks

FLBentRider

I have tried the spicy - adding cayenne to the cure mix really didn't work the way I wanted.

It doesn't penetrate the meat, since capsaicin is not water soluble.

By the time you are done with the soak, most of the heat is gone.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SL2010

Thanks i just wanted the little kick would you still do it or would it be a waste of time

FLBentRider

I would probably dust it on right before the smoke.

Or make a paste and inject it.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

wyoduke

For the black pepper take a medium grind and roll and rub it in right before it goes in the smoker it works good for me.
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

SL2010

so what your saying is do the basic cure the add your flavors right before you smoke/cook

FLBentRider

For flavors that are not water soluble, yes.

Other flavors, like the maple syrup, can go in with the cure and will penetrate the meat during the curing process.

Curing (brining) is all about osmosis. Having a higher concentration of salt outside the meat will draw salt and water and anything dissolved in it, into the meat.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

wyoduke

I do also add maple surup in the start and in the midle of the smoke and it is a noticeable taste.
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

Habanero Smoker

I have experimented with kicking up the heat, and have had some success but nothing out standing. What I occasionally will do, is mix the cayenne pepper with a small amount of vodka to make a paste and spread that on the loin prior to applying the dry cure. You will get some heat penetration. Then add more on the surface, prior to air drying.

To get the flavors you are looking for, the best way is to wet cure, and inject some of it before placing the meat into the cure. I just don't like the texture of CB when it is wet cured, so another suggestion would be to make a marinade and inject the meat just before you air dry it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)