Cured Pork Loins

Started by seemore, January 22, 2011, 12:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

I put these loins in a brine for 15 days.  At the end of 15 days, I rinsed them, put them in netting and dried them in the Bradley for about one hour at 140 degrees then cold-smoked them below 80 degrees for about 4 hours.

When they were done smoking, I brought them in.

Here it is, ready to be grilled, sauted or whatever suits your fancy.
I grilled a couple slices on the SRG for a quick taste test, and here is what I had:

seemore

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

classicrockgriller

seemore are those tenderloins?

Tey look very nice.

seemore

CRG. no pork I thought the same thing when I brought them in
seemore

classicrockgriller

Are they the pork tenderloins?

From the size of the slice pieces they look smaller than the reg pork loin.

They look great! 15 days in a brine?

You'll have to tell us more details.

seemore

Sonny, Scott just went outside to put a couple baked potatoes in the SRG, so I am going to start this.
Yes, they are the pork tenderloins you can get at the store.  We bought them from Sams, and they come two to a package.
You start with 2 1/4 lbs of pork loin, trimmed of the excess fat and membrane.
This is the cure mix:

. 1 T salt
. 1T brown sugar, packed in the spoon
. 3/4 t onion powder
. 1/2 t Prague powder
. 1/2 t garlic powder
. 1/2 t white pepper
. 1/4 t allspice

Place the loins in a curing container, and rub the curing mix evenly on all surfaces of the meat.  Cover the pork and refrigerate.
After 12 hours, massage the meat.  Then, massage the meat daily for seven days.
After seven days, massage it every other day for the remaining curing time.
After the curing time has finished, rinse the loins thoroughly, then drain.  Wrap each piece in a paper towel, then wrap in newspaper.  Refrigerate overnight.
The next day, remove the newspaper and the paper towels.  Net the loins and hang in the smoker for one hour at 140 degrees to dry.
After one hour, cold smoke at 80 degrees using hickory - as said before it was about four hours.
Brought the loins in, took the netting off, and just had to try some.
Mrs

classicrockgriller

Thanks for the info.

I like that!

What did netting the loin do?

Just wondering if that part is a "have to do"?

seemore

No, the netting is not required.  In fact, it is not even mentioned in the recipe.
We just like the way the meat looks after it has smoked and has that 'netted' look.   ::)
Mrs

classicrockgriller

Quote from: seemore on January 22, 2011, 04:34:42 PM
No, the netting is not required.  In fact, it is not even mentioned in the recipe.
We just like the way the meat looks after it has smoked and has that 'netted' look.   ::)
Mrs

Thanks again Mrs.

I have bookmarked this and am gonna do it soon.

OU812

Them loins look gooooooood!

I've got a couple packages of tender loins in the freezer, might dig one out and give this a shot.

Thanks.

Smokin Soon

Beautiful! How is the taste compared to regular Canadian Bacon?

Tenpoint5

Look really good Seemores!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

seemore

The taste is definitely similar to Canadian bacon.  You still have to cook this however, as it was only cold smoked.
I am still partial to Hab's Canadian bacon recipe, too, and all this talk about it makes me want to get Mr psyched to do some more Canadian bacon.....
Mrs.